Deco M5 App Updates Seriously Degrade Deco Mesh Functionality

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-23 22:11:11
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

I have purchased, recommended and installed dozens of Deco M5 units. They provide very good range and performance in a small unit. Unfortunately TP-Link updated the app and changed core functionality:

1) It is no longer possible to transfer ownership of M5s from one account to another. This option was removed.

2) The owner can add other managers, but those managers cannot add additional mesh nodes, even if network management is enabled.

3) Wi-Fi passwords can no longer contain spaces. If the network needs to be reset, then old passwords with spaces cannot be restored. This forces all users and devices to be updated with a new password, which can be very tedious and time consuming.

These types of changes, which are made without warning or recourse, can cause serious disruption and inconvenience. I am very disappointed that TP-Link decided to force these changes on users.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco M5 App Updates Seriously Degrade Deco Mesh Functionality
2023-08-24 03:26:53

@tpnovice 

Hi, Thank you very much for the feedback.

I confirmed on the latest Deco APP version 3.5.18-IOS/3.5.15-Android that:

1. Deco APP still supports"change network own“as mentioned here:

How to change the owner account on Deco APP

2. Managers are not allowed to add new Deco units which hasn't been changed ever since the first APP release.

3. I am quite upset about the limitation of blank space in wireless passwords as well and the feature request has been forwarded to the engineers already, but so far, there hasn't been updated news of the further optimization.

Thanks for the understanding and best regards.

Options
Re:Deco M5 App Updates Seriously Degrade Deco Mesh Functionality
2023-08-24 05:25:16 - last edited 2023-08-24 06:39:29

@David-TP 
1) I figured out why I could not transfer ownership. If one or more of the Decos are not online, then the option to transfer ownership is not available. This seems like an odd requirement. The network works fine if an unused Deco is offline.  And it may not be easy to bring all units back on line if there is a weak signal and a unit drops off, etc. If there is a technical reason why all Decos must be online to transfer ownership, then it would help if the menu item to transfer ownership was present but "greyed out" vs. being removed.

2) Allowing managers to add decos seems like a useful feature. I thought it might mitigate the issue with change of ownership, which was when I discovered the issue.

3) Glad to hear that spaces in passwords has been flagged as an issue.

Thanks for the prompt response.

File:
deco01.jpgDownload
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 256

Replies: 2

Related Articles