Router no longer asks for username

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-05 19:30:25
Tags: #username
Model: TP-Link Routers  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Sorry, I didn't have time to  dig out my hardware/firmware versioons.  This question was asked in 2019 and never answered with any sort of reason for or solution to the problem.  The problem is that my router spontaneously started omitting the username request, asking only for  the password. I know the default username is "admin" and  know what the username used to be and  know the passwords that were associated with those usernames but neither of them works.  I would like to know why this is happening and how to avoid a hard reset in an attempt to fix the problem.  Thanks in advance.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Router no longer asks for username
2023-09-05 21:03:34

@rcastles This is how my new router works. It just asks for the password and then poof I'm in. Are you not able to get to the page? Maybe a firmware update has changed how to access the page? I don't know, just suggesting.

Options
2023-09-09 17:16:23

@rcastles Just hooked up brand new router yesterday - Archer AX55.  When I go to the webpage to log in to the router (192.168.0.1), it never asked for a username.  The first time I had to set up a "local password" and that is all it ever asks me for.  Does that mean that the username is still set to "admin", and if so, where do I find it in order to change it.  Is my "local password" now the admin password, or is it still set to the default "admin".  I can't find anyplace to see it or change it.

Options
2023-09-12 03:26:54

@JoanB 

In recent FW releases the username is "admin" by default and it can't be changed - you can only change your local admin password.. Your newly set local password is now your local admin user password.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 401

Replies: 3

Tags

username
Related Articles