Deco XE75 (AXE5400) - devices wired via switch connected to main unit keep disconnecting

Deco XE75 (AXE5400) - devices wired via switch connected to main unit keep disconnecting

2023-10-16 17:55:25
Model: Deco XE75  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hey guys, title pretty much says it all.

I have a few devices -- e.g., my TV, NAS, NVIDIA Shield -- connected to the main Deco router via a gigabit switch.  This weekend I noticed by TV kept displaying notifications that it had lost connection to the internet followed of course by notifications that the connection had been restored.  That prompted me to turn on connection notifications for the TV and other devices hard-wired to the main unit.  Since enabling those notificaitons, I have gotten too many to count.  Every few minutes I'll get a notification that these devices have lost connection and then "rejoined" the network.  

Strangely, other than the initial notices I got on my TV this weekend, I haven't encountered anything in my actual use of the devices that would indicate they aren't connected.  For instance, my Shield has not skipped a beat at any point with streaming/Youtube TV, etc.  

Any ideas on what's going on?  

Options
16 Reply
Re:Deco XE75 (AXE5400) - devices wired via switch connected to main unit keep disconnecting
2023-10-16 19:09:01

@mryan143,

From my Shield experience, it can be pretty "Raw" in what it notifies you of despite being able to compensate for - as you are seeing with the shield handling the changeovers with ease.

I would imagine that this behavior may be the result of the satellite node changing its backhaul method. I would recommend first making sure that your wired connection is stable and that a bad cable is not the source of the problem.

I would also recommend establishing an IP reservation for both the switch and the devices connecting to the network through the switch. This will at least help to provide a stable/reliable connection back to the main router.

For your switch, is it managed or unmanaged? What model is it?

I would also recommend trying to use another ethernet port to see if the behavior changes at all when the new negotiation happnes.

Options
Re:Deco XE75 (AXE5400) - devices wired via switch connected to main unit keep disconnecting
2023-10-20 04:54:43 - last edited 2023-10-20 06:24:21

@Riley_S 

Thanks so much for the reply.  It's taken me a couple of days to find the time to truly work on this but here's the latest.

First of all, the switch in question is a D-Link DGS-1016A -- an unmanaged 16-port gigabit switch.  I've been using it for quite a while (prior to getting the Deco system) without incident, at least as far as I could tell.  I've swapped out cables and confirmed they are not the culprit. Likewise with swapping to different ports on the switch.  

I established IP reservations for the Shield and the TV and, after initially having quite a time getting them to take, both devices are now pulling down their reserved IPs and are connected to the router/internet. Despite this, however, I continue to get disconnect notices from Deco regarding the Shield.  I would note, again, that the Shield itself seems to be functioning quite alright with no noticeable disconnects/loss of access. UPDATE: for the first time since getting the disconnect notices, I tried using the Shield and it had genuinely lost connection/would not function.  

As for the TV, I'm still waiting to see if the disconnect notices persist, as I only sorted out its IP issues about an hour ago.  But so far, so good on it. UPDATE: The TV is still suffering from disconnections as well. 

On other thing to mention: you suggested I should give an IP reservation to the switch itself but I don't see the switch showing up as a discrete connected device to my main Deco router, so I'm unclear on how to do that and/or if it's possible. 

UPDATE: I found a post on another forum that described a similar issue.  That poster ultimately concluded that his security camera was the culprit because it was somehow advertising itself as a gateway and was assigning IP addresses that was causing conflicts.  I have an Arlo system connected to this switch.  I'm wondering if that might be the problem, but I'm at a loss as to what to do about it if so.  I'm going to disconnect it from the switch tomorrow and see if the disconnects/reconnects stop. 

Thanks for any additional insight you can provide. 

Options
2023-10-20 14:48:43

@Riley_S 

So yet another update: I disconnected the Arlo Pro base and I have not had a single disconnect in the 12 or so hours since.  I was previously getting multiple notices per hour for each device.  I'm not exactly clear on how it's happening but I'm virtually positive the Arlo is causing some kind of IP conflict.  I'm going to change the LAN IP and have DHCP assign IPs in a different range and then reactivate the Arlo to see if that resolves the problem. 

Options
2023-10-20 18:33:11

@Riley_S 

Well, it apparently wasn't the Arlo and changing the LAN IP/default gateway did not fix the problem -- the disconnect notices have begun again. I'm at a loss. 

Options
2023-10-20 18:49:42

@mryan143,

I believe that you can set your shield to not use a static IP address, setting this to follow the reservation that you set in the Deco App should help the situation if it is some sort of IP conflict. 

I would also recommend moving your shield and TV to the guest network to see if the behavior exists there; you may also isolate the devices as this would prevent the other devices on your network from interacting with the device. 

Do you know if you have any other devices that are potentially operating as a hub on your network that devices connect through?

Lastly, since I never verified, is your Deco the only router on your network? Are you sure that the Gateway from your ISP is not broadcasting its own network, and its routing functionalities are disabled.

As a note, you mention that it started happening after 12 hours, the length of time that is commonly set for your IP Address to renew its lease with the router, so I think you are on the right track. Would it be possible to test without the switch in the equation? I am curious if the behavior persists when connected directly to the deco nodes.

Options
2023-10-24 03:43:44

@Riley_S 

Thanks for the reply, Riley.  A lot to unpack here, but let me start by updating you.

I ended up disconnecting both the Shield and the TV from the switch and having them both connect wirelessly.  I also reserved IP addresses for each device on Deco's end.  At subsequent points, I disabled "Mesh Technology" and told both to connect to the main hub (that they were previously wired into via the switch).  They both connected and assumed their correct IPs, but it didn't last.  

The Shield has done well overall. Only a couple of disconnects -- and none in a while that I can tell (I temporarily disabled connection notices because of how many I was getting from the TV).  I still am at a loss as to why it wouldn't play nice with the wired connection, but at least the wireless connection appears stable at this point. (One strange thing to note, however: the Deco randomly changes the way it identifies/names the Shield on my network.  Sometimes it's "Android-8," sometimes it's "Android-5," sometimes it's "Android-3," and sometimes it's simply "Android."  This can cause some confusion when trying to set up connection alerts and confirm that it's grabbing the right IP, etc.  Really strange, as my other Shield (connected via a different Deco hub) consistently shows up as "NVIDIA.")  

The TV, however, is an absolute disaster.  It disconnects and reconnects every few minutes, and will not grab the IP I've reserved for it.  So now I've got a device that routinely disconnects and reconnects from the network every few minutes, whether wired OR wireless.  I know this might lead one to conclude it's an issue with the device itself, but bear in mind that I had *zero* such issues with it on my old Google Wifi network.  I am just at a total loss here, unless it's just that this hub is a lemon of some sort.

To address some of your other questions/points:

- I don't think there's anything else that could be creating a network that the TV is attempting to connect to.  The Arlo was the only thing I could imagine doing this but the problem persisted even after I left it disconnected/powered off for a prolonged period of time.  

- My ISP "gateway" (modem/router) is in bridge mode, so there is no router functionality or wireless SSID being broadcast, etc.  

- I'm going to bypass the switch with my TV and connect it directly to the main Deco router and see if this problem continues.

- Probably shouldn't read too much into the "12 hour" thing as I was just using that more figuratively -- as in the problem came back overnight. It's possible there's something to the IP renewing its lease but I just wanted to clarify my comment with regard to that.  Of course, as noted above, the disconnects/reconnects are occurring repeatedly, every few minutes.  

- I've downloaded the logs that show the frequent disconnects.  I'm going to paste an excerpt below, as it means nothing to me. Note that the MAC address ending in 6b:7a is the TV. That one ending in 9A:BE is a Sonos speaker. Could the Sonos be causing the problem somehow? Thanks again for your help.

Fri Oct 20 18:29:57 2023 user.notice IMPROXY: INFO[imp_verify_multicast_addr@245]: Group address 224.0.0.251 is Local Network Control Block
Fri Oct 20 18:29:57 2023 user.notice IMPROXY: INFO[imp_verify_multicast_addr@258]: Group address 239.255.255.250 belongs to IPv4 Local Scope.
Fri Oct 20 18:29:57 2023 user.notice IMPROXY: INFO[imp_verify_multicast_addr@245]: Group address 224.0.0.251 is Local Network Control Block
Fri Oct 20 18:29:57 2023 user.notice IMPROXY: INFO[imp_verify_multicast_addr@245]: Group address 224.0.0.250 is Local Network Control Block
Fri Oct 20 18:29:57 2023 user.notice IMPROXY: INFO[imp_verify_multicast_addr@258]: Group address 239.255.255.251 belongs to IPv4 Local Scope.
Fri Oct 20 18:29:57 2023 user.notice IMPROXY: INFO[imp_verify_multicast_addr@258]: Group address 239.255.255.250 belongs to IPv4 Local Scope.
Fri Oct 20 18:29:57 2023 user.notice IMPROXY: INFO[imp_input_report_mldv2@471]: MLD_CHANGE_TO_EXCLUDE
Fri Oct 20 18:30:01 2023 daemon.notice nrd[15459]: wlanifLinkEventsCmnGenerateDisassocEvent: Client 00:BF:AF:9A:6B:7A disassociated on APId 255 ChanId 48  ESSId 0  
Fri Oct 20 18:30:01 2023 daemon.notice hostapd: ath1: AP-STA-DISCONNECTED 00:bf:af:9a:6b:7a
Fri Oct 20 18:30:01 2023 daemon.notice hostapd: ath1: ubus call client_mgmt access '{"mac":"00-BF-AF-9A-6B-7A","ifname":"ath1","action":"disassociate"}' &
Fri Oct 20 18:30:01 2023 daemon.notice hostapd: wpa_driver_nl80211_set_key: ifindex=29 (ath1) alg=0 addr=0x55b46e6bf0 key_idx=0 set_tx=1 seq_len=0 key_len=0 key_flag=0x20
Fri Oct 20 18:30:01 2023 daemon.notice hostapd: wpa_driver_nl80211_set_key: ifindex=29 (ath1) alg=0 addr=0x55b46e6bf0 key_idx=0 set_tx=1 seq_len=0 key_len=0 key_flag=0x20
Fri Oct 20 18:30:01 2023 daemon.err hostapd: hostapd_notif_disassoc num_sta 2
Fri Oct 20 18:30:01 2023 daemon.err client_mgmt: wireless client associate or disassociate.
Fri Oct 20 18:30:01 2023 daemon.err client_mgmt: client_mac:00-BF-AF-9A-6B-7A, client_ifname:ath1, client_action:disassociate
Fri Oct 20 18:30:01 2023 daemon.err client_mgmt: client(00-BF-AF-9A-6B-7A) disassociate by if(ath1).
Fri Oct 20 18:30:10 2023 authpriv.notice dropbear[6711]: Pubkey auth succeeded for 'root' with key sha1!! ac:ce:9f:38:a1:34:d2:24:6f:97:ab:11:fc:77:38:5b:62:04:3c:d3 from 192.168.86.199:58690
Fri Oct 20 18:30:10 2023 daemon.err client_mgmt: client(00-BF-AF-9A-6B-7A) disconnected
Fri Oct 20 18:30:11 2023 daemon.err client_mgmt: client(5C-AA-FD-07-9A-BE) not found in arp table disconnect_counter=0
Fri Oct 20 18:30:11 2023 user.notice IMPROXY: INFO[imp_verify_multicast_addr@258]: Group address 239.255.255.250 belongs to IPv4 Local Scope.
Fri Oct 20 18:30:14 2023 daemon.err udhcpd[15215]: Received DISCOVER
Fri Oct 20 18:30:14 2023 daemon.err udhcpd[15215]: clear ip 1d56a8c0
Fri Oct 20 18:30:14 2023 daemon.err udhcpd[15215]: Sending OFFER of 192.168.86.29
Fri Oct 20 18:30:15 2023 daemon.err udhcpd[15215]: Sending ACK to 192.168.86.29
Fri Oct 20 18:30:15 2023 daemon.err udhcpd[15215]: clear ip 1d56a8c0
Fri Oct 20 18:30:15 2023 user.notice IMPROXY: INFO[imp_verify_multicast_addr@245]: Group address 224.0.0.251 is Local Network Control Block
Fri Oct 20 18:30:15 2023 user.notice IMPROXY: INFO[imp_verify_multicast_addr@258]: Group address 239.255.255.250 belongs to IPv4 Local Scope.
Fri Oct 20 18:30:15 2023 user.notice IMPROXY: INFO[imp_verify_multicast_addr@245]: Group address 224.0.0.251 is Local Network Control Block
Fri Oct 20 18:30:15 2023 user.notice IMPROXY: INFO[imp_input_report_mldv2@471]: MLD_CHANGE_TO_EXCLUDE
Fri Oct 20 18:30:15 2023 user.notice IMPROXY: INFO[imp_verify_multicast_addr@245]: Group address 224.0.0.250 is Local Network Control Block
Fri Oct 20 18:30:15 2023 user.notice IMPROXY: INFO[imp_verify_multicast_addr@258]: Group address 239.255.255.251 belongs to IPv4 Local Scope.
Fri Oct 20 18:30:15 2023 user.notice IMPROXY: INFO[imp_verify_multicast_addr@258]: Group address 239.255.255.250 belongs to IPv4 Local Scope.

Options
2023-10-24 16:49:43

@Riley_S 

A few updates to pass along:

- Sonos: I've followed TP Link's recommendation and moved my Sonos speakers from wifi to "SonosNet" by hardwiring one speaker to the main router. I've confirmed that all my Sonos speakers are now using SonosNet.  They do still show up as connected clients on Deco, however.  I understand this is normal/how it's supposed to work.

- I'm still getting some TV disconnects/reconnects but they are not quite as frequent.  However, my Synology -- hard-wired via the switch -- is now the main offending device.  I've had no trouble with it at all before now.  It's now frequently disconnecting/reconnecting, just as the TV was previously.  It has a reserved IP on the Deco end and is successfully receiving that IP assignment.  This seems to confirm the issue is not with the clients themselves.  

- The TV (again, currently connected via wifi) will not accept its assigned IP for some reason.  It's just grabbing the very first IP in the range (i.e., 192.168.86.2).  

- I reconnected the Shield via ethernet just to see how it behaved. It is again getting some disconnects/reconnects, despite correctly pulling its assigned IP.  

- I still need to remove the switch from the equation to see what results.  The problem with this, however, is that I will be limited to hard-wiring two devices, which will not accurately re-create my actual use case.  

I am at a loss, particularly given that the problems are not limited to either ethernet OR wifi -- I'm having issues with both. I am going to both try to connect the devices without the switch and see about tracking down another switch to test.  I have no reason to believe this switch is faulty as I was not having these problems with my previous router, but perhaps it simply doesn't play nice with Deco for some reason?

Options
2023-10-25 18:17:53

@Riley_S 

Another update: I bypassed the switch and connected the Shield directly to the main Deco router.  This is the result.  So it appears clear that the switch is not the culprit either. Again, I'm at an absolute loss unless this is simply a faulty unit. 

0665d621a69847f6b6d6984f6ca15655

Options
2023-10-31 03:01:06 - last edited 2023-10-31 03:01:30

@Riley_S 

Just wondering if I'm going to receive any additional replies and/or help, as it's been a week since I last heard anything.  Do the logs tell you and/or your engineers anything useful? 

By way of update, I recently completely reset my network and used a different hub to serve as the main router.  I used a different LAN IP/gateway.  I even bought a TP-Link switch to replace the D-Link switch I've been using.  

The disconnects have continued unabated, though the Shield has become the main offender (sometimes 6 disconnects/reconnects in an hour) with the Synology disconnecting/reconnecting maybe 6-8 times per day.  The interesting thing I noticed is that the Shield went crazy with disconnects when I gave it an assigned/reserved IP.  It had no trouble accepting the address -- and it's way out of range of my other stuff, and I don't think there's any sort of IP conflict possible -- but it just continually disconnected and reconnected.  Since I disabled to IP reservation this afternoon, I haven't had it disconnect a single time.  

Again, I'm at a loss regarding the instability of my network. There's nothing particularly unique about my setup and at this point I think I've controlled for virtually every imaginable variable.  Very, very frustrating. 

Options
2023-10-31 23:44:05

@mryan143,

It has been MORE than busy around here, and we are still waiting on a formal look. 

If you would like the engineers to get a first-hand look, your case will most like the quickly escalated through our normal support channels and they may ask for specific details or even have a remote session.

I agree that you have done more than enough to troubleshoot, so there is either something very basic being missed - such as having 2 DHCP servers on your network, or there is a conflict that we simply can't find. Taking the switch out of the equation also took a large number of possibilities such as looping out of the mix.

For the Shield - I know that in its network settings, there is an option for DHCP and Static Addressing; you may try setting this to static while using the IP reservation to see if the behavior continues.

For Sonos - Your Sonos app has an option to change the channel of your Sonos network; you may consider changing this if you are experiencing cutting audio.

Lastly, make sure you try another ethernet port on the main deco to make sure the physical port is not the cause. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 1236

Replies: 16

Related Articles