4X PCs with 10Gb NIC Cards (TX401). All have poor connection when one reboots.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-18 16:51:48
Model: TX401  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

PC 

Asus B550 Mobo

Nvidia 3060 Graphics Card

AM4 Ryzen 7 5800X

64GB Ram

Network Structure:

I recently upgraded our network to 10 GB using 4 TX401s and a Netgear XS508M Switch the PCs are all connected to the switch via 6ft Cat 8 cables. The XS508M is connected to the rest of the network via Fiber.

Issue:

As noted in the description when we reboot one of the PCs All the others suffer poor connections until that one is back online. If a PC is shut down fully the connection issue will remain until the PC is either turned back on or the cable is disconnected.

Resolution Attempts:

I have tested one of the PCs with a different brand card and it does not behave the same.

I have changed the Network cable from home-terminated Cat6a to the purchased prefab Cat8.

I have done a Bios Update.

I have updated all Windows Drivers.

I have performed all Windows updates.

I have updated the card driver to the newer version found on the Marvell site.

I have upgraded the Fiber cable to a higher-quality one. 

I have switched to Jumbo Frames.

Options
2 Reply
Re:4X PCs with 10Gb NIC Cards (TX401). All have poor connection when one reboots.
2023-10-19 00:45:49 - last edited 2023-10-19 00:47:47

Hey  @Darkorical,

This is an interesting behavior, to say the least - Usually you see this behavior when a device connects to the network, not upon disconnecting

A Few Questions to Hopefully Narrow Down the Cause:

When testing with another card connected to the switch, was the card just as capable as the TX401s?

What Connection issues did you see on the other PCs? If possible, can you provide additional information, such as if your bandwidth was cut, if you had increased latency, or simply couldn't connect to the network/internet entirely?

What Version of Windows are you currently running?

Do you have another network switch that you can test, or can you connect directly to your ethernet ports further up the line, such as directly to the router? It is possible that a setting or configuration of the network switch is causing the problems - even if it is unmanaged, it may have basic settings for priority or QoS.

Across other forums, I did find two settings in the network adapter properties that others have changed to fix slow speeds. Unfortunately, these properties are above my level of knowledge. One was "RecV Segment Coalescing(IPv4)" to Disabled, and "Large Send Offload(IPv4)" to Disabled

Options
Re:4X PCs with 10Gb NIC Cards (TX401). All have poor connection when one reboots.
2023-10-19 13:23:59

@Riley_S 

Thanks for taking the time to reply. 

When testing with another card connected to the switch, was the card just as capable as the TX401s?

The new card was a 2.5gb NIC by a different company. So it was not a direct comparison  The other test I performed was to use the onboard 1GB LAN it too did not have any issues.

What Connection issues did you see on the other PCs? If possible, can you provide additional information, such as if your bandwidth was cut, if you had increased latency, or simply couldn't connect to the network/internet entirely?

The PCs are in a Surveillance department. the surveillance system provides diagnostic information about video streams that are currently displayed. When one PC reboots not only do we see tearing, streaking, and studdering in the video displayed, but also the diagnostics show continuous loss of packets.

What Version of Windows are you currently running?

Win 10

Do you have another network switch that you can test, or can you connect directly to your ethernet ports further up the line, such as directly to the router? It is possible that a setting or configuration of the network switch is causing the problems - even if it is unmanaged, it may have basic settings for priority or QoS.

We do not have another 10GB capable switch to test.

Options