Can't do more than 3 nodes over ethernet backhaul

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-20 00:48:59
Model: Deco X55  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.7

I bought two sets of the Deco X55 giving me a total of 6 nodes. My setup is Modem > 24 port switch > nodes and devices throughout the house. However apart from the main, I notice it never connects more than 3 other nodes to ethernet backhaul even though they are all connected to the switch. Is this normal? Is there a work around? 

Options
6 Reply
Re:Can't do more than 3 nodes over ethernet backhaul
2023-10-20 01:43:54

@FongMan Are you running all nodes in AP or in Router mode? Your modem, do you mean Main deco unit? I have 5 nodes around my house with this topology:

ONT > Main Deo > Switch > all satellite Deco

Options
2023-10-20 02:36:06 - last edited 2023-10-20 02:37:30

@Espress0-0 

All nodes are in AP mode. Topology is ISP Router & modem combo unit > Switch > All 6 deco units including main deco. 

Is it better to do ISP > Main Deco > Switch > Deco units? 

The reason for my current topology is that my demarc point doesn't need wifi, so I don't have any of the nodes there, so I just have the modem and switch at the demarc point and ethernet run to all 6 deco units.

I don't want to have to run a cable from the modem to the main deco (which is in a key wifi location) then back to the switch beside the modem.

Options
2023-10-20 04:18:10 - last edited 2023-10-20 04:18:33

Your topology seems to be correct when all nodes in AP mode. Why don’t you try this topology in case 2 here to see if that changes anything: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/271538

Btw when you say they wont connect through Ethernet does that mean those extra units only connect wirelessly? Sometimes when mine got rebooted or disconnected I just reset that unit and wait for it to connect back via Ethernet. Also might wanna swap out some units (those that won’t connect through Ethernet to those that worked, and swap out cables too)

Options
2023-10-28 15:38:26

@Espress0-0 

It turned out to be my switch, change it out and now all of the nodes are using ethernet backhaul. Thanks for the help!

Options
2023-10-28 17:09:59

@FongMan Nice, what is the switch that you use now? I'm having some issues with a tplink switch.

Options
2023-10-28 17:42:02

@Espress0-0 

TL-SG108, nothing special, I had it sitting around so I just tried it. It's maxed out now so if I need to add a new device, I'll have to upgrade it

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 393

Replies: 6

Related Articles