OpenVPN server - Unable to access internet or home network devices while connected to VPN server

OpenVPN server - Unable to access internet or home network devices while connected to VPN server

2023-11-06 09:11:55 - last edited 2023-11-06 09:31:16
Tags: #VPN
Model: Archer AXE75  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.8 Build 20230718 rel.47014(5553)

I've gone through the setup steps for OpenVPN on my TP-Link router, but I am unable to access the internet or any home network devices when connected on a client. I have tried multiple VPN client applications as well as multiple web browsers. I've added configuration details below:

LAN:

IP Address: 192.168.0.1

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

DHCP Server:

DHCP Server: Enable

IP Address Pool: 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.249

Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

OpenVPN

OpenVPN: Enable

Service Type: UDP

Service Port: 1194

VPN Subnet: 10.8.0.0

Netmask: 255.255.255.0

Client Access: Internet and Home Network

OpenVPN configuration file:

client
dev tun
proto udp
float
nobind
cipher AES-128-CBC
comp-lzo adaptive
resolv-retry infinite
remote-cert-tls server
persist-key
persist-tun
remote [MY_PUBLIC_IP] 1194
[CERTIFICATES AND KEYS]

Client:

Operating system: Android 14

OpenVPN client: OpenVPN Connect

Steps taken:

1. Enabled OpenVPN and saved after entering settings above
  2. Added port 1194 to NAT Forwarding->Port Triggering menu
  3. Generated the certificate
  4. Exported the configuration file
  5. Imported the configuration file using OpenVPN Android mobile app
  6. Connected to VPN server profile while using a mobile data connection

Expected results:

VPN connection succeeds and I am able to access the internet, my router's web interface page, and any other devices on my home network that I'm normally able to access while connected to my router.

Actual results:

VPN connection succeeds, but I am not able to access internet, my router's web interface page, or any other device on my home network.

Options
3 Reply
Re:OpenVPN server - Unable to access internet or home network devices while connected to VPN server
2024-02-03 07:48:20

@_segfault any progress with that? i have the same problem!

Options
Re:OpenVPN server - Unable to access internet or home network devices while connected to VPN server
2024-02-04 00:00:57

@Manolisk I was not able to resolve the issue. The router seems to be setting up the OpenVPN server with an incomplete or incorrect configuration. I ended up using a Raspberry Pi 4B to install and set up a WireGuard server which has worked as expected, but it does require more technical knowledge to set up and configure.

Options
2024-02-04 06:22:27

@_segfault i dont know how i fixed it but mine works now! I used to have a pi3 for a vpn server but it crashed and i cannot fix it!! 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 287

Replies: 3

Tags

Related Articles