Upgrading to TP-Link DECO Mesh system destroyed my Plex server

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-11 06:56:29 - last edited 2023-11-11 16:51:21
Model: Deco XE75  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.1

Hello!

I used to have a dinky little router that didn't cover my home well, but chugged along in some way to keep the relative peace. It streamed plex media to all the devices in my home reasonably well, and short of 4k I could stream pretty much whatever to my major appliances and screens without much fuss.

However, ever since I got the TP-Link Deco XE75 Wifi 6E mesh system, Plex has stuttered and struggled to communicate to other devices to the network. I set up NAT forwarding, but this seemed to make little difference; if it can't stream on the local network, how could it do it remotely?

I've tried all manner of things: disabled QoS; set a static IP for the server device (a desktop PC); reset and restart the router and PC, respectively; but nothing seems to work. I don't know where to look or what to do!

Please help.

Edit: Resolved! See my last post in this thread, but a HomeBridge VM setup in windows was stealing the IPv4 network interface.

Options
14 Reply
Re:Upgrading to TP-Link DECO Mesh system destroyed my Plex server
2023-11-11 07:10:01

@dayglojago 

All your devices, including the Plex server, are connected to the Deco?

Were you previously able to access your Plex server from a web browser?  If yes, is it still possible?

Options
2023-11-11 07:12:39

@yves_b Yes, everything is connected to the deco, it's the only router on my network.

It is no longer possible to connect to the web interface where it was before from other machines on the local network. Sometimes it's possible to connect, but only intermittently an never reliably.

Options
2023-11-11 09:23:04

@dayglojago 

So the web interface works sometimes, but not for long?

Or does it work for some activity, but not for others?

Can you do a speedtest from the Plex server?

Options
2023-11-11 15:01:22

@yves_b the web interface will *sometimes* load, but most often will get stuck on a half-loaded screen. It's not really functional either way.

i did do a speed test on the Plex server. I got full throttle on my connection, which is 500/50 down/up

Options
2023-11-11 15:41:55

@dayglojago 

Do you consistently observe that "small" web pages work well, but large do not?

Options
2023-11-11 15:47:24

@yves_b no that's not something I've noticed

Options
2023-11-11 15:55:26

@dayglojago 

OK, too bad the issue is not consistently reproducible.

Anyway, I suggest having a look at the MTU setting on your Plex server.

Options
2023-11-11 15:57:12

@yves_b The plex server can't be reliably connected to, much less streamed from, I'm not sure the MTU setting is going to help, but I'll take a look!

Options
2023-11-11 16:05:13

@dayglojago If the server sends frames larger than what is supported by the Deco, that could be the cause of some issues.

Options
2023-11-11 16:18:25

@yves_b Fair enough. Now the server isn't being detected at all, despite running. Sigh. Where do I change the MTU settings? I see nothing similar except the buffer size.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 3023

Replies: 14

Related Articles