Archer AX55 - unstable connections after upgrade

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer AX55 - unstable connections after upgrade

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
47 Reply
Re:Archer AX55 - unstable connections after upgrade
2023-11-28 21:26:25

@Sunshine 

I appreciate all of you replying to my post.

It seems that one of the major issues with this new firmware release is that there is a problem with

how the AX55's DCHP server manages assigning IP addresses to network devices.

As an experiment before downgrading the firmware, I changed the default DHCP Address Lease Time

from 120 minutes to 2880 minutes (48 hours maximum allowed), and the problem with disconnects, and

failure to connect/reconnect new wireless devices, went away.

Everything has been completely stable so far for the past 14 hours. Will the problem return in 48 hours?

I don't know. But right now I can connect, disconnect, and reconnect wireless devices without any

problems. So, it is interesting.

I will keep you posted. Thanks again

Options
2023-11-29 02:22:53

@Yellowjacket I had mine set to 2880 and the issue occurs...about 1 day after reboot...which is the default re-lease time for Windows if the lease is set to 2 days.

Options
2023-11-29 02:27:03
Thanks for this info...I will then downgrade.
Options
2023-11-29 02:34:46

@AdamPfromMN 

That's what I was afraid of. I know that halfway through the 48 hour lease cycle, DHCP is going

to try to renew the IP that was originally assigned. That's probably where the failure is occurring,

due to the bug introduced by the new firmware. Devices can be assigned an IP initially, but apparently,

that IP cannot be renewed, nor can a new one be assigned. I wonder how many AX55 routers

have been affected by this issue?

Options
Re:Archer AX55 - unstable connections after upgrade-Solution
2023-11-29 07:07:08 - last edited 2023-12-04 03:02:49

@Yellowjacket @AdamPfromMN @DanPet @ttchief 

Update:

We have released a new firmware 1.2.6 Build 20231130 to solve the disconnecting issue, please upgrade the firmware via the online upgrade in Web GUI or Tether App, or you could also download the new firmware from the official website:

Firmware Download for Archer AX55 V1

Hi All,

Thank you very much for all the feedbacks, we have reported the issue to our senior engineers and we are trying to find more user cases to debug the issue, so if any of you have the unstable connection issue after updating to 1.2.5 firmware and would like to troubleshoot with us, please help to confirm the following information:

1.Do both your wireless and wired devices experience this issue, or is it only specific devices that are affected? Please provide the models of the affected devices

2.How often does the problem occur, and how long does it last? How do you restore the connection?

3.When the issue occurs, do the affected devices automatically disconnect from the Wi-Fi? Is the issue that devices cannot reconnect, or that devices are connected but have no internet access?

If the issue is devices being connected but having no internet access, please check the IP addresses of the affected devices when the problem occurs. How to find IP address on your devices

Or you could also email support.usa@tp-link.com to provide the above information, if you email the support team, please provide the backup file of your router along with the login password for us to perform further testing on our end. How to create and restore from a backup file on your TP-Link Router

If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Recommended Solution
Options
2023-11-29 15:39:24 - last edited 2023-11-29 15:43:10

@Sunshine 

1.Do both your wireless and wired devices experience this issue, or is it only specific devices that are affected? Please provide the models of the affected devices

I only have wireless devices associated with my AX55, no wired devices. The issue affects all of my wireless network devices.

2.How often does the problem occur, and how long does it last? How do you restore the connection?

The problem begins to occur at exactly one half of the DHCP Lease Time. For example, I currently have it set for 2880 seconds (48 hours).

The problem begins to occur exactly 24 hours after a reboot. The connections can be restored by rebooting the router, or resetting

the DHCP Lease Time to a different value.

3.When the issue occurs, do the affected devices automatically disconnect from the Wi-Fi?

Is the issue that devices cannot reconnect, or that devices are connected but have no internet access?

When the issue occurs, NO NEW DEVICES can connect to the router. Also, if a connected device

is powered off, and then powered on again, it cannot reconnect to the router. As long as a device remains

powrered on, and has already been assigned an IP address, it can maintain connectivity.

Sunshine: Are you saying that your recommended solution to this problem is to install the beta firmware

Archer_AX55_V1_1.2.6 Build_20231106 rather than downgrade to th prior firmware version as some others have done?

Please advise. Thank you!

Options
2023-11-30 20:43:04

@Sunshine 

Hi Sunshine:

Do you want me to update to the current beta firmware version?

Public Beta for Archer AX55 V1 Supports EasyMesh Ethernet Backhaul, DoH&DoT, ECO Mode and More.

Thank you!

Options
2023-11-30 22:36:25

@minion-me I'm experiencing the exact same problem.  Radom clients (I.e., Mac, LG tvs, iPhones, FireTV, etc...) lose WiFi connection. Not at the same time.  ISP connection is solid...no problem there.  Only way to clear seems to be restarting WiFi router. Problem started a couple weeks ago after firmware update to (1.2.5, build 20231025, rel 50143.  Does to-link have a fix in the works..?

Options
2023-11-30 23:55:10 - last edited 2023-11-30 23:55:45

@Ping808 

You can try the beta of the next firmware version here: 

Public Beta for Archer AX55 V1 Supports EasyMesh Ethernet Backhaul, DoH&DoT, ECO Mode and More

Or, rollback to the prior version firmware here:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/archer-ax55/v1/#Firmware

Options
2023-12-01 01:06:56

@Sunshine same issues, glad found this post. Wired and wireless devices are dropping connections, getting 169.254. IP address using DHCP. Happening several times a day and the loss can last a couple minutes to 30 minutes before pulling a real IP.

I hope a resolution is found soon, my wife is about to throw the router and me out the door :)

Options
Related Articles