XE5300 Deco Mesh System has not worked correctly once since setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-12-06 19:30:11
Model: Deco  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.1 Build 20230601

I'm blaming something in our setup process....but we just replaced our Orbi router/satellite system and Motorola modem with the following:

Have the TP-Link Deco XE5300 Mesh Wi-Fi  (Hardware version/US V2.6) - that was not an option to select above

Firmware:  1.2.1 Build 20230601 Rel. 58453

Modem is brand new as well:  Arris Surfboard SB8200

We have Gigabit Internet

We have a 2800 sq ft house.

This says it cover 7000 sq ft.

We have multiple dead zones and if we bring 3 devices to one area they drop immediately.

We have our main Deco in our "Den" downstairs corner of the house.  Our other routers was here and worked fine for years along with the satellites.

We have second Deco downstairs on opposite side of the house.  Third Deco upstairs.

If I'm sitting in the room with the modem, everything is seamless.

I move around the house....some areas are seamless...but a couple of areas drop constantly.  Drop IPads, and Computers.

The current computer is a Dell and it says this:

Radio types supported     : 802.11b 802.11g 802.11n 802.11a 802.11ac 802.11ax
    FIPS 140-2 mode supported : Yes
    802.11w Management Frame Protection supported : Yes

Ipads drop wifi as well in a couple  "Dead zones".

We've tried moving the decos ever so slightly to different plugs in the house.

We've rebooted the whole system

We've reset network settings on our apple devices

We've "forgot network" and rejoined network

We've shut down every device and restarted them

All the areas the decos are in say "GOOD" connection.  Signal is strong.  Speed is strong.

But we cannot stay connected when away from the base station.

What more can be tried?  We are beyond exhausted and frustrated.

Our app says we are up to date on firmware, but I see online there is a new one:   V2.6_1.2.3 Build 20231011   

Could this possibly be the FIX ALL?

If so - I can go through the steps to do that...but wanted to get any other thoughts others might have.  I'm not incredibly techy....but have the app, so happy to go through what our settings are.

Options
4 Reply
Re:XE5300 Deco Mesh System has not worked correctly once since setup
2023-12-07 12:07:13

@JC-Corc 

If I understand well, everything works well when a device is close to any of the 3 Decos, but you have "dead zone" inside your house, where no device is working.  Is that correct?

Did you disable the wifi of your modem?

How are the satellite Deco connected to the main Deco?  By wifi?

Did you try moving the second Deco downstairs closer to the main Deco, instead as on the opposite side of the house?

Options
2023-12-12 16:37:42

@yves_b 

If I understand well, everything works well when a device is close to any of the 3 Decos, but you have "dead zone" inside your house, where no device is working.  Is that correct?

Not quite - All devices work great in the room or close to the room with the main deco.  where the other hubs are (which are connected wirelessly to the main hub) our devices will connect briefly, then drop wi-fi within 5-30 minutes or so.  Then we cannot connect back to wi-fi from those areas.  I can be on top of the hub in another part of the house and it will not connect until I get back to the main deco where it's hard wired.  However, on the deco app, all are shown with full 3 wi-fi bars, and STRONG connections all leading back to the base.  I can also put an ethernet cord to either of the two decos and plug in my computer and it works fine that way....while the deco is only connected wirelessly to the main deco.

Did you disable the wifi of your modem? - No

How are the satellite Deco connected to the main Deco?  By wifi? Yes

Did you try moving the second Deco downstairs closer to the main Deco, instead as on the opposite side of the house?  Yes - we have tried rearranging all different ways.  But the same issue seems to happen.  Anytime the devices connect to a satellite/hub device...they are good for a couple minutes, then drop.  Then can't reconnect.

Options
2023-12-12 17:02:28

@JC-Corc 

I suggest disabling the wifi on your modem, or, at a minimum, ensure it has not the same name as the wifi of your Deco.

Options
2023-12-12 17:57:03

Thank you so much for your replies  @yves_b 

Interesting...I have not had this suggestion yet.  Thank you for opening my eyes to another possible solution.

Our router is the Arris SB8200 Surfboard.  I'm not honestly sure if it is a modem/router all in one?  And I'm not srue how to turn the wifi off?  The unit itself doesn't have a switch...I assume I will have to log in to somewhere to check this??  (Can you tell I'm NOT that techy)

I only see the modem currently when I log into Xfinity.  I'm guessing I don't turn off the wifi there.

I did get another suggestion from TP-Link tech support and they suggested to turn on our guest wifi.  So I have that turned on now and am testing out the connection to that from various devices.  

For one, my printer actually now connects to the guest wifi, but I could not connect to it successfully to the main wifi even after successfully seeing it and putting in password.  (Different settings on both with may be why)

I also have an older computer that cannot see the wifi (main or guest) at all, even after updating all the drivers and entire computer.  So, I can't figure that one out either.

So...I will look into turning off the wifi next once I figure that out, and circle back.

THANK you for being so helpful.  I appreciate any and all suggestions.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 645

Replies: 4

Related Articles