Help me decide on hardware selection

2023-12-06 22:19:59

Here's my situation.

My Verizon CR1000 router has hit a soft limit on the number of connections, so I am looking to replace it.  I have 110 devices, 76 are 2.4GHz WiFi, 2 are 5GHz and the rest are Ethernet.  It appears through experimentation that when I try to connect more than 65 devices, they just won't connect.

I am leaning toward the TP Link Omada ER7206 router and a couple of TP Link EAP-225 Access Points.  Would this combination be sufficient for my network, or would another selection be better?

Options
11 Reply
Re:Help me decide on hardware selection
2023-12-07 01:55:29

@SteveMann 

you are looking at business class routers which you should be with that many devices. This forum is mostly home class routers. There is a business router class forum and you should post your question there as they would be more able to help you. 

Options
2023-12-07 08:38:01 - last edited 2023-12-07 08:50:13

@SteveMann 

These will suffice for the number of client devices in your LAN. You'll need some switches for the wired devices.

If you plan to have only two EAP-225 you can run the router in Standalone mode.

In the future if you expand your infrastructure, you could add Omada hardware controller (like OC200) for easy centralized management and advanced features.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2023-12-07 17:52:53

@terziyski 

"You'll need some switches for the wired devices."

Thanks, but "You'll need some switches" doesn't help me decide which hardware to buy.  The specs don't help much, but I assume at the least I'll need POE ports for my APs.

Options
2023-12-07 18:10:06 - last edited 2023-12-07 19:43:48

@SteveMann 

If you use the 24V Passive PoE adapter (included with EAP225) you won't even need a POE switch - it's up to you to decide which way to power the EAPs:

3953a2b97d704040baf04eb991dbb795

In the list there are unmanaged switches (Plug and Play) and Easy Smart Switches (with web-management interface) - again your choice.

Of course I would pick a gigabit switch for this purpose.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2023-12-07 21:57:50

@terziyski Thanks for the input. I don't see the POE adapter included with the EAP610, but it does come with a 12V wall-wart.

I am trending toward the EAP610 because it has ethernet breakouts. So, I assume that I will be able to plug in ethernet devices?

My biggest concern is will this system be able to handle my network of a bit over 100 devices, or will I be in the same predicament after spending the money on a TP-Link system?

What is it that limits the number of simultaneous connections? I am gathering that it's a limitation of the AP?

Options
2023-12-07 23:02:14

SteveMann wrote

@terziyski Thanks for the input. I don't see the POE adapter included with the EAP610, but it does come with a 12V wall-wart.

I am trending toward the EAP610 because it has ethernet breakouts. So, I assume that I will be able to plug in ethernet devices?

My biggest concern is will this system be able to handle my network of a bit over 100 devices, or will I be in the same predicament after spending the money on a TP-Link system?

What is it that limits the number of simultaneous connections? I am gathering that it's a limitation of the AP?

@SteveMann 

In your initial post you mentioned EAP225 - it has 24V passive PoE adapter included.

EAP610 has 1x gigabit port just like EAP225 does. You need 2x gigabit ports on a EAP to plug in a wired client device in the spare port.

They both can handle the number of devices you're working with. If you add more devices in the future, you can scale up the setup adding more EAPs.

The number limit of connected devices comes from the EAP (or the router in your previos setup) hardware limitations.

Options
2023-12-07 23:38:35 - last edited 2023-12-07 23:39:30

Thanks that is exactly the information I was looking for. I am placing the order for the hardware today.

EAP-610 Access Point (For the drop-ceiling in my basement)

EAP-615 Access Point (For my office upstairs)

TL-SG1210P 8 Port Gigabit PoE Switch

ER605 v2 Gigabit VPN Router

I will pass on the OC200 controller since I have a server running Ubuntu where I can run the Omada Software controller.

Please, if you see an error in my thinking, tell me.

Options
2023-12-08 06:18:26 - last edited 2023-12-08 08:51:03

@SteveMann 

The device choice seems fine to me. Just one remark - I counted 32 wired devices according your initial post.

If the switch is for EAPs powering only that's fine. Other components should suffice considering described infrastructure.

If you have any further question or inquiries, you can post in the business community (here) for best assistance.

Options
2023-12-08 15:20:49

@terziyski 
"you can post in the business community"

I do appreciate the feedback.  Wen I do post a question on the "Business Networking" community, my posts are blocked by a moderator because it is a home system. And you aren't the first to tell me that my system is too complex to be in the "Home Networking"  community, or that Onada is business networking.

Do you know what is the difference from a TP-Link ER7206 and the TP-Link ER605 routers?

Options
2023-12-08 17:30:04

@SteveMann 

The only reason I pointed you to business community is that these products (ER7206, ER605, EAP225, EAP610) are part of the Omada solution, which is discussed there.

Complexity doesn't matter or if you use these at home or at the office - you'd get better help in there simply because there are more people dealing with such kind of equipment.

I am pretty sure that the guys from the business community would be very happy to answer all of your questions and I haven't heard of any posts blocked.

Now, here's the difference between ER7206 and ER605. ER702 is simply more powerful device as you can see from their specs, especially if you plan to use a VPN intensively.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 631

Replies: 11

Related Articles