M4 - can I extend my router's network?
M4 - can I extend my router's network?
2023-12-11 06:14:44
Tags: #Deco Lab #Access Point
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi Community,

I have 2x Deco M4 units. I want to set them to act as Access Points and just to extend my router's wifi network. Is this possible or it is a must to have network created via the Deco units. At the moment I end up having 2 wifi networks (router and Deco) which is very annoying and my goal is to have one single network. If it is not possible to extend the router's wifi network I am considering to stop the router's network and just operate with the Deco's network. Pls advise. Thx!

Options
4 Reply
Re:M4 - can I extend my router's network?
2023-12-11 20:03:30

@ikaramichev,

What you are asking can be achieved relatively easily but is not recommended.

You would configure the Decos, then change the operation mode to AP Mode, and configure the devices to use the same network name as the router.

If you are going to have another router ahead of your Deco, it is already recommended to use AP mode so as to avoid a Dual - NAT scenario.

We don't recommend using both a router network and your mesh network at the same time, as they cannot mesh together. This means that your device may have unintended network switches as they have to connect to the router network or the mesh network - also meaning its less likely that you device will be properly steered towards the best option, instead using what is available quicker.

Options
2023-12-11 20:17:29

@Riley_S 

Thx a lot for the note. 

So the correct solution should be:

-stop wifi network of my router (can't remove the unit as it is a must from my ISP) 

-first Deco unit to be configured as router

-every other Deco unit to be configured as access point 

Thai way will have only one mesh network and all will be good - correct? Thx. 

Options
2023-12-11 20:47:45

@ikaramichev,

Almost good to go:

If you are using a combination router + modem from your ISP (AKA Gateway), there will be a setting labeled as IP Passthrough or Bridge Mode that you can enable in its interface. This will turn the Gateway into simply an old-school modem that you connect your router to.

Second, the satellite Decos will also be configured in their default state, as they will mesh with the network created by the main node. Placing them in AP mode will prevent the satellites from meshing and will prompt you to configure another network. For the satellites, all you have to do is make sure that they are powered, and you can use the Add Node option from the deco app after the main node is configured.

Options
2023-12-11 20:53:09

@Riley_S 

All clear! Thx a lot.

Options