Deco X20: devices previously setup takes long time to connect to Wifi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-12-12 00:05:59 - last edited 2023-12-13 16:29:00
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.1.1 Build 20230721 Rel. 48732

Model: Deco X20

Hardware Version: do not know

Firmware Version: 1.1.1 Build 20230721 Rel. 48732 on main Deco and two others.

One other one is 1.1.4 Build 20230824 Rel. 63641 (which was bought later)

"Update Deco" page in the App shows they are up-to-date!

The configuration of my network is as follows:

Router - Xfinity (which has wifi disabled!)

I have Main Deco hardwired to xfinity router, and all other deco's are connected to the main Deco (thru wifi / app).

Home is 3 levels. Main Deco is on main floor, have 1 other Deco on each floor.

Problem I am seeing is sometimes it takes time for devices (that were setup already to the wifi) to connect to the wifi. Takes many minutes.

This is with the devices that most likely be moving around the house, IE: the phones (apple phones)!

This is seen most of the time when coming back to the house, so trying to reconnect to the wifi.  

I have seen other threads about disabling the 'Mesh Technology' option, but I do not think is recommended for phones for example as they move around the house.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco X20: devices previously setup takes long time to connect to Wifi
2023-12-13 16:24:26

@arobert74 

Any ideas on how to fix this?

I appreciate any information!

Options
2023-12-13 18:48:46

Hey  @arobert74,

Thanks for all the details. First off, you can find the hardware version of the Decos on the label of the node itself. Since you have two separate firmware versions, you likely also have two different hardware revisions. You can also always manually check if you are up to date by comparing the most recent firmware on your versions download page against the Deco app

The Xfinity Gateway - Was there an option to enable  Bridge Mode or IP Passthrough Mode?

For the connections:

Mesh Technology is specifically related to a feature that allows your network to move your phone between nodes. It will simply become your phone's responsibility to move between nodes. Before disabling this function, I would also try and disable both Beamforming and Fast Roaming as these are the features that deal with "moving" devices. (see this article for more info).

Lastly, if this is limited to phones, I would also make sure that you have private addresses disabled for your home network. Disabling this would allow your network to immediately know what device is connected, instead of seeing the phones as completely new devices.

Options
2023-12-13 19:35:01

@Riley_S thanks for the reply!

1. For the Hardware version, the "Main" Deco is V4.0

The one I bought by itself is US/3.6   

2. Checking my Xfinity gateway, it has a Bridge Mode and it is Disabled

I guess this is where I would check also for private addresses, I can see it is DHCP.

3. Checking my Deco app, I have Fast Roaming disabled.

4. System > Update Deco:  It is showing system is up-to-date

But looking at the versions download page, the Deco with V3.6 does not have the latest Firmware version.

(I have 1.1.4 Build but the page is showing 1.1.5 is the latest.

How do I get that version updated?

Options
2023-12-14 19:11:49

@arobert74,

If Bridge Mode is Disabled: 

Then the Operation mode of the Decos needs to be switch to Access Point or AP Mode from the Interface.

To use the Decos in their Default Mode (Router Mode) then you will need to ENABLE bridge mode and make sure your Decos are the only device connected to the ISP Gateway.

Right now, you have two DHCP servers assigning addresses, the one on the Decos and the one from the Gateway. With more than one, you will experience conflicts and longer waits for devices to build a valid connection. 

AP Mode on Deco will disable the Decos DHCP server (along with other features)

Bridge Mode on the Gateway will Disable the Gateway's DHCP (allowing full use of your Decos)

It is likely that once this is fixed, your last Deco will update to the latest firmware, otherwise you could follow the steps in this FAQ to manually upgrade: How to Upgrade Your Deco Firmware

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 513

Replies: 4

Related Articles