Using MoCa adapters as a backhaul for Deco XE75 Pro

2023-12-15 13:13:12 - last edited 2023-12-15 13:19:10
Model: Deco XE75 Pro  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.7

I recently moved and now have fiber internet through Frontier, and the technician was supposed to set up a series of MoCa splitters on the old coaxial network in the house, which the fiber box seems to also tap into by default (previous owner left no info on how their internet was set up) so I can arrange 3 mesh routers to provide full coverage with a hardwired backhaul. All points recieve internet fine, it seems like. I can put a laptop and moca box at any of the 6 points I had him set up for now and it seems to work fine. And the main Deco eventually got internet access at two spots tried. But I'm having issues getting the satellite Decos to switch from wireless to wired backhaul. The one I'm testing now will try to use it but the app reports weak signal and it ultimately gives up and goes back to wireless. Do I need to rearrange connections on the splitters to try and get this to go properly, or am I missing something?

I do have a separate issue where the whole system loses internet due to what seems to be shenanigans with Frontier trying to force Eero router usage. But trying again so far I did get the main router to maintain internet access and therefore the whole system. It's just slow to get it back in a stable fashion after reboots. But this is likely unrelated and unless it stops resolving itself again I am more concerned with how to get the Decos to use MoCa as a backhaul reilably so their full wireless bandwidth is available to other devices. I just cannot find good guides on this, so far.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Using MoCa adapters as a backhaul for Deco XE75 Pro
2023-12-16 09:44:31

@Matt_R I want to add that I saw a video on youtube that suggests my big issue may be that the main router isn't connected via ethernet to the fiber modem. The issue is...I cannot find the modem in the house, only the ONT box. I'll check the related equipment on the exterior later. Hoping I won't have to call Frontier and ask for a technician to come back and find the modem or replace the old ONT box or something. But I already suspect I'm hoping in vain. I assume with fiber there has to be a modem somewhere that's taking the signal from the ONT box and then sending the signal into the coax network. I just have no idea where right now.

Options
2023-12-16 18:28:33

@Matt_R Tbh you should ask about this on subreddit Frontierfios, or Homenetworking. Also should provide a diagram. I think your fiber is just using existing coaxial cable and that's fine.

Does your setup look like this?

Feed internet (from coax) to Moca > To Fiber box (should be a white box with Frontier letter) > your router inside the house.

Any coaxial connector point in your house can be connected to a Moca adapter and thus connect to one of your Deco satellites, do you have them set up like that? Just my guess cause I don't have Fios and again those subreddits above might understand your setup better.

Options
2023-12-21 14:13:37 - last edited 2023-12-21 14:18:43

@Matt_R Is your main Deco connected by Ethernet to the ONT, and do you have access to Internet via the Deco?

If yes, this is a perfect solution, your Deco does not require going via a modem.

Something like this?

ISP --- fiber --- ONT --- Ethernet --- Deco (main) --- Ethernet - Moca adapter --- coax --- Moca adapter --- Ethernet --- satellite Deco

|

|--- Moca adatper --- Ethernet --- satellite Deco

Options
2024-01-02 14:52:53
Actually there is a slight problem with your diagram. The MoCa adapters are typically a bonded pair, meaning that they will only work with one another. So having an odd number of MoCas would cause the system to not work properly. From the research I have done (as I am looking to do the same thing in my house) is that from the ONT you would need to put in place a small switch after the first (Main) deco. The main deco acts as your router and thus you would have an ethernet line from the main deco to a switch then a line to each of the MoCa pairs you are running to each of your other satellite nodes.
Options
2024-01-02 16:21:57

@Fizzius 

That is perhaps the case for some MoCa adapters, but others do not work in pairs.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 580

Replies: 5

Related Articles