Cannot Connect to Wi-fi to Set up New Smart Plug

2024-01-04 19:20:24 - last edited 2024-01-04 19:23:34
Model: EP40  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.26

I have tried over and over and am not able to connect to my new device to set it up for use.

I have followed the instructions

Downloaded the app

Local access is enabled

The device is plugged in - Blinking Orange and Green

Connect my iPhone to the TP-Link device's Wifi

Select and enter my password for my 2.4gh network.

I get the spinning connecting to the smart outdoor plug - After a while it just says couldn't connect and to try again

Then I start the process all over again.

Why is it not connecting?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Cannot Connect to Wi-fi to Set up New Smart Plug
2024-01-11 23:20:53

@Snowbie1 

A few things worth checking would be:

1. After receiving the "couldn't connect" message, does the smart plug's LED continue to flash orange and green?

2. When you receive the connection message, is your iPhone reconnected to your router's Wi-Fi network?

3. Is your EP40 located in an area where your router's 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi network signal is sufficiently strong/stable?

4. Is your smartphone connected to a VPN? If so, please disconnect from the VPN during setup, as it will interfere with the installation process.

I would also make sure your Kasa app is fully up to date, if it isn't already.

Options
2024-03-16 23:58:08

@Snowbie1 I'm having the same problem. I purchased one of the smart plugs and had no problems connecting it. I have purchased a second one and can't seem to connect it to the app where my other plug is already added. Did you ever get any resolution

Options
3 weeks ago

@Ryan I have the same exact problem! All the same. I am connected to the router correctly, no VPN, blinking blue and orarnge and I just get the spinning circle and then a message to try again.

Options
3 weeks ago

@MZ404  

@ Ryan..  called customer support and they were very helpful.  I was missing one very important step.  The step where when it pops up WiFi and tp-link, go to your settings and ensure you are on your WiFi, then look below at the other WiFi choices, find Direct TP-device, click on it to link your device to your home WiFi, type in your WiFi password, then proceed with the rest of instructions.  If that's not clear, call customer support. Hope it helps. 

Options
a week ago
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 429

Replies: 5

Related Articles