Using devices on different Deco network speed bands

2024-01-19 17:00:01
Model: Deco M3  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have the Deco M3 installed with 2 network names. One is 5ghz, the guest network is a different name and runs 2.4ghz.  I have multiple devices connected to each network name. I need to use my iPhone with a device that only supports the 2.4ghz band, so I have it connected to the 2.4 ghz network name.  My printer is on the 5ghz network.  So with my phone on the 2.4 network, I cannot see the printer.  If I switch the phone to the 5ghz network, I can see the printer and print fine.  Is there a way to configure the Deco so that I can stay connected o the 5ghz band and it will be able to see  the devices on both networks?  In other words, can I make the 5ghz band broadcast in both speeds?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Using devices on different Deco network speed bands
2024-01-19 23:43:38

@Hcliffe 

Not quite sure I understand your question.  Can the 5GHz be set to run at both speeds?  Do you mean can your main network broadcast both bands?  Traditionally Guest networks are isolated from the main network so that is why you cannot see the printer while you are on the 2.4GHz network.  The simplest fix would be to set the Main network to broadcast on both 2.4 and 5GHz.  and migrate your 2.4GHz clients to this network. 

You may also want to consider upgrading to a model that supports the IoT network feature.  This would allow you to have a network isolated to the 2.4GHz band like you are doing now, except it can still see the main network. 

Options
2024-01-20 02:32:28

@Hcliffe 

Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for your reply.  This is what I mean: Do you mean can your main network broadcast both bands? 

So if the main network can broadcast on both bands, can you provide instructions on how to do that please?  

Options
2024-01-21 10:34:16

@Hcliffe 

How to configure the main network to broadcast on both bands:

- open the Deco app

- click on "more" (bottom right)

- click on "wi-fi settings"

- click on the first line, showing the band(s) in use

- click on "advanced"

- click on "band"

- select "2.4 and 5"

- go back twice

- click "save"

Options
2024-01-21 17:30:01

@Hcliffe 

This worked great, thanks much for your help. 

Options