How to add home office internet service separate from existing personal fios service?

How to add home office internet service separate from existing personal fios service?

2024-01-21 14:14:18
Model: Archer AX11000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Have to setup a home office internet service and need to add it to our existing fios internet service (only internet, no cable channels or phone service); however, I want to completely separate our personal and my office internet traffic, and if possible share a printer on both without sharing anything else (prefer work not seeing anything on the personal side except the printer)  

The office setup has a laptop (prefer ethernet connection due to video conferencing/collaboration software needs) and color printer (can connect either wireless or ethernet connection), and smartphones (wireless only, obviously).  The work user login uses an os vpn app, so no router vpn service is needed.  

Existing setup:: ISP: fios; Routers: archer ax11000 and archer ax21; currently using ax11000 with guest networks (2.5 and 5) for guests; 'smart connect' disabled, 2.5 wireless for legacy devices and lot devices, 5-1 for non-legacy/no lot devices, 5-2 for streaming, gaming and kids devices, and printer connected via ethernet cable.  

Want to avoid purchasing two separate isp services.  Want security over convenience, meaning work and personal are always completely separate traffic, work cannot access (or see?) personal ever.  Already allocate guest and all wireless bands, so would prefer using ax21 for work (no guest wireless needed for work, can enable 'smart connect') and ax11000 for personal.  

I do  not know how to setup and ensure they are completely separate, and not sure how to share a printer on both routers, but sure it can be done. Read various postings on the subject, but they are not quite the same and were too vague on specifics for me.  I am not an expert, but not a novice either.  Would need more than just general statements of how to do it (or that it can be done).  

Has anyone configured such an arrangement or know how to do it correctly with the ax11000 and ax21 and willing to share?

Thanks.

Options
5 Reply
Re:How to add home office internet service separate from existing personal fios service?
2024-01-23 02:06:04

@virtual_lws 

Sounds like you need to set up a vlan. I looked at doing it but did not. There are several different ways to do it and based on my needs, I may try doing it at a later date. Not sure if I will use something like a pfsense device, a router that supports vlans, or a managed switch. 

Options
Re:How to add home office internet service separate from existing personal fios service?
2024-01-25 06:40:16
Thank you for the reply, but as my message stated, general statements are not helpful in achieving the desired goal.  If someone can offer specifics on how to achieve the desired goal, it would be most appreciated.  
Options
2024-01-26 00:43:45

@virtual_lws 

Here's an example on how to do this with an Easy Smart Switch like TL-SG105E or TL-SG108E.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-01-26 01:56:35

@virtual_lws 

Assuming your fios ont only supports one IP, you could try:
use ax11000 connected to fios, with your personal stuff use a different subnet than the ax21. 
connect the ax21 wan port to an ax11000 lan port,  so your work subnet is double nat-ed,   configure the ax21 as the DMZ (so the vpn connections can cross the routers).

put the printer in the work network, and port forward on the ax21 so that personal computers can access it.

update the ax21 route table so the ax21 can only route to/through the ax11000, but not to the personal subnet. 

Options
2024-01-26 11:47:17

@virtual_lws 

As I said before I have not set up a vlan but have researched it quite a bit. 

Not knowing your full setup, future needs, level of experence, how much effort you are going to spend in setup and to maintain, how secure your needs are, and such, it is hard to say what is best for you. Based on info given, a vlan mtu sounds like a valid solution. 

A good resource is stevessmartguide. You need to poke around a bit to find the info on the vlan setup. There are more flexable vlan setups such as 801.2Q but more compilcated to set up. Basicly it is a switch that sits after your router dividing your traffic. 

If security is the highest priority, a pfsense device or like device is needed. There are pro consumer routers such as Synology that support vlans and other higher security features which may be an option also. 

In my case, I felt the amount of work involved to set up and maintain a vlan was not going to add that much more security to be worth it. I did get a more powerful router where I could do away with an extender and moved the iot devices to an isolated guest network.

The higher security levels will require more costs, effort to setup, and to maintain. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 189

Replies: 5

Related Articles