Traveling in multiple time zones with my cell phone while Kasa Smart Plug remains at home

Traveling in multiple time zones with my cell phone while Kasa Smart Plug remains at home

2024-01-25 19:48:29 - last edited 2024-01-25 20:20:01
Model: HS105  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Using my cell phone Kasa app, I set up several Kasa/tp-link Smart Plugs to control lights on a schedule at my home in the Eastern Time Zone.  Device Info shows that they are all on America/New_York time zone, Device Time is correct and they are connected to my home network.  Perfect.  Now I am traveling with my cell phone all around the world.  Am I correct that my Smart Plugs come on at the times I set back home in Eastern time zone as that is where they are physically located, NOT the local time zone of where I may be at the moment in Asia with my cell phone?  

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Traveling in multiple time zones with my cell phone while Kasa Smart Plug remains at home-Solution
2024-01-25 20:14:13 - last edited 2024-01-25 20:20:01

Hey @MrRevo,

You are correct, the devices will follow the time zone that you have set or that they are currently located in. Using your phone in another region or time zone will not affect the schedules or smart actions set for the device.

Many users will use the devices in their vacation home or while they are out of the country, so this was considered during the development phase of the platform.

As an added note, if you set a formal schedule from the device settings, rather than as a Smart Action, the schedule will be stored on the smart plug itself and will be able to continue the schedule even if the device loses its connection to the internet.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Traveling in multiple time zones with my cell phone while Kasa Smart Plug remains at home-Solution
2024-01-25 20:14:13 - last edited 2024-01-25 20:20:01

Hey @MrRevo,

You are correct, the devices will follow the time zone that you have set or that they are currently located in. Using your phone in another region or time zone will not affect the schedules or smart actions set for the device.

Many users will use the devices in their vacation home or while they are out of the country, so this was considered during the development phase of the platform.

As an added note, if you set a formal schedule from the device settings, rather than as a Smart Action, the schedule will be stored on the smart plug itself and will be able to continue the schedule even if the device loses its connection to the internet.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Traveling in multiple time zones with my cell phone while Kasa Smart Plug remains at home
2024-01-25 20:22:10
Thanks for the peace of mind, Riley_S!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 232

Replies: 2

Related Articles