Deco XE75 device connection issues

2024-01-29 20:06:48
Model: Deco XE75  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.3 Build 20231011 Rel. 60272

I have a new Deco XE75.  I have moved all my devices to it except the below.  I have tried the following settings per what I've read, to no avail.

Beam forming off
2.4 GHz only
WPA2
Fast Roaming disabled
Beamforming disabled

Nest cam fails to connect. Invalid password.  My Nest thermostat connected, but I was able to enter it on the device.
Blink cam sync module fails to connect.  Invalid password
Sonos speakers say they need 802.11b/n 

I'm about ready to box this up.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco XE75 device connection issues
2024-01-30 00:20:02 - last edited 2024-01-30 00:51:24

Hey  @xunilhr,

I would first recommend trying to configure these devices using your IoT network, as there aren't as many advanced features on the IoT network, you can choose only the 2.4Ghz band, and you can lessen the security without worrying about your other devices. As an FYI, the invalid password error is thrown for multiple reasons,s, usually having something to do with the wireless security standard being used, for this reason, you should try using WPA/WPA2 on your IoT network settings.

When you moved networks, did you happen to choose the same network name and password as before? If so, you may need to reset these devices so that they are not trying to refresh their existing settings. 

I would also recommend disabling the Mesh Technology option from within the Deco app.

Sonos: What problems occur, is another error thrown? Decos are backward compatible, with the 2.4 GHz network being: IEEE 802.11b/g/n/ax, so they should work fine; however I have seen users purchase a bridge/hub from Sonos to help improve performance with new networks.

Splash into a Smarter Summer - Summer Event and Community Giveaway

Automate and Learn More About Tapo Sub-GHz Sensors, Matter, Apple Home, and Local Smart Actions!

20% Select Sub-G Hubs Available to All Participants! | Get Started Here!
Options
2024-02-20 14:20:21
I also have issues with 2.4Ghz Wireless Clients. For unknown reason the clients keep dropping - it appears to be very unstable. When I connect to just 2.4Ghz SSID that I setup for legacy clients. Sometimes it works, and sometimes clients just get bumped off and cannot connect back. This even happens with new devices, as I use my iphone 15 pro max to connect, sometimes I can connect with no issues and it stays connected for a short while then for unknown reasons -- it tells me no internet connection ... and I get self assigned IP. This is a real pain when you have a lot of smart devices ... my WIFI cams keeps getting disconnected.
Options
2024-02-20 22:14:04

Hey @Amberglow,

There are a few things that you can try to help mitigate or ease the transitions beyond what I mentioned above; however, much of it is dependent on the device settings and capabilities.

First off, disable Private Addressing on your iPhone. This will allow your router to better manage and shift the connection of your phone. It is possible that this feature is being triggered either while roaming between nodes or when changing between 2.4 and 5GHz. This would also cause you to receive a completely new IP and a lapse in connection.

Next, I usually point towards the Beamforming and Mesh Technology options available in the Deco app for the device. These are the technologies from recent Wi-Fi iterations that are most likely to cause disconnects when the client device does not also support the feature.

For the devices that seem to lose their IP or have to reconnect often, I would recommend taking a look at setting an IP reservation for the device, as this can help remedy a few situations where devices may fight for an address.

Do you have an example of some of the Wi-Fi devices/cameras you are seeing disconnect? Without additional details, a very wide net would need to be cast in order to troubleshoot and identify the cause.

Splash into a Smarter Summer - Summer Event and Community Giveaway

Automate and Learn More About Tapo Sub-GHz Sensors, Matter, Apple Home, and Local Smart Actions!

20% Select Sub-G Hubs Available to All Participants! | Get Started Here!
Options
2024-02-21 08:10:59
Thanks for the reply. The issue is not even about Mesh roaming, it is about - connecting to the WLAN. I am practically sitting in front of the Deco, not even 5 feet away and I having these connection issues. As for my smart devices like wifi cameras, they are in one location fixed and does not move; they get bumped off every so often, that I have to take a ladder to power cycle (power off and on again) to initiate connection - they connect works fine, maybe for a few minutes or hours before they lose connection. My Wifi Camera has direct line of sight with nothing blocking with 12 feet distance away from the Deco ... kinda hard to blame this on other factors. Maybe ... I think TPlink needs to test your firmware on Beamforming etc thoroughly to ensure backward compatibility. It was working fine for a few months until these last 2 weeks when 2.4G wlan started acting up. Whatever improvements you all added broke something. Can't be asking us to keep trying different configurations to make these smart devices work. I don't have 1 or 2, I have nearly 100 such devices. From Smart Switches, Smart Bulbs, Smart Curtains, Google Home Minis. Even my Google Home devices have problem connecting which usually is the easiest and most stable of the lot.
Options
2 weeks ago

@Riley_S 

Issue solved 2.4ghz 

Well i had the worst 2.4 connection on my xe75 . Specially the cameras . We read through many articles but the solution was no where . 2.4 just didnt work consistently.

We playing along the device for multiple days , finally i was able to solve the problem 100%. 

Now i did 3 things and definately one of them is the culprit . I just dont have the courage to go back and check one by one. 

1. Changed 5ghz from 80 to 160mhz

2. Changed ssid of 6hz to same as 2.4 and 5 

3. Changed the topology to BUS . See pics a1b74efe4dc140a5abef03975135d89f

All of a sudden as if my network got a new life , its ultra stable and reliable. 

Now either its a processing issue and tplink does not have the power to distribite data to 2 satellites or either or seperate 6hz system is not configured properly and creates 2.4 ghz to be left out , hehehhe. All in all TPlink should look into this and identify the real problem and built it in their software update. 

Options