Deco QOS - will lowering QOS bandwidth enable device throttling?

2024-01-30 15:05:33 - last edited 2024-01-31 15:58:48
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.1.5 Build 20231026 Rel. 62511

If I want to throttle the bandwith that my x20 is using, can reduce the bandwidth settings in the QOS and have the device essentially provide throttling? 

What would happen if I set a device with priority?  Would it be prioiritized up to the limits on the bandwidth setting, or would it exceed those values if bandwidth is available? 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco QOS - will lowering QOS bandwidth enable device throttling? -Solution
2024-01-31 15:51:36 - last edited 2024-01-31 15:58:48

@kc0jaz 

The "why" was a good question, your response to the "why" allows us to understand your configuration and your objective.

Are you using 7 main Decos, offering 7 wifi networks, each Deco setup in Router mode?
I observed that the Deco does not prevent exceeding the values set in QOS, certainly not when a single device is doing a speed test.

Hence I do not expect that the Deco QOS would help in your setup.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco QOS - will lowering QOS bandwidth enable device throttling?
2024-01-30 19:21:55

@kc0jaz,

I believe that lowering your QoS to below what your ISP gives would limit the speed of your enitre network.

Essentially, you are telling your network what you will reliably be able to receive, and your network is then using that information to provide a limit for each device so that other devices can communicate simultaneously; or prioritized in the case of High-Priority devices. QoS is a complex system, so there is no definitive answer. However, a High-Priority Device should try and make use of the most bandwidth available to it, sometimes at the cost of another device's network performance.The effects of QoS aref far less likely to be seen at higher throughputs since your device will not likely be using the entire bandwidth.

Is there a specific reason that you are looking for this feature?

If you are trying to limit your data usage, you may look at other options, such as adding switches that provide bandwidth control to your network. You should also consider checking with your ISP and their equipment to see if there is an option to limit the throughput at the source.

Options
2024-01-30 19:55:27

@Riley_S 

I appreciate your help but it didn't really answer my question.  Yes, QOS is a "complicated system" that's why I was trying to find out how it's designed in these routers.  

To answer your "why", which seems irrelevant to the question, I have an apartment building with 7 separate networks behind sever separate x20's.  I want to know how the QOS on these works to see if I can limit one tenant from consuming all of the bandwidth from the other tenants.  Sure I can go throw another device in there that handles throttling, but was just curious about how the QOS manages it in these units.  Sounds like you don't know.  

Hopefully my why helps you out a little bit.  But we are still back to the original question...

Options
Re:Deco QOS - will lowering QOS bandwidth enable device throttling? -Solution
2024-01-31 15:51:36 - last edited 2024-01-31 15:58:48

@kc0jaz 

The "why" was a good question, your response to the "why" allows us to understand your configuration and your objective.

Are you using 7 main Decos, offering 7 wifi networks, each Deco setup in Router mode?
I observed that the Deco does not prevent exceeding the values set in QOS, certainly not when a single device is doing a speed test.

Hence I do not expect that the Deco QOS would help in your setup.

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-01-31 16:00:45

@yves_b 

Thank you.  Yes, I am using 7 separate Decos in Router mode.  I still don't see the value in "why" my overall architecture matters, but your testing did answer my question in that lowing the QOS value doesn't allow for any throttling.  

I appreciate the help!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 149

Replies: 4

Related Articles