Deco M5Main/Guest network question

2024-02-05 10:01:34
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have my M5 setup in Router mode and am trying to work out what I need to do to solve the following problem:

I have a device connected to my Guest network which I cant seem to access FROM my main network.

When I try from HA sitting on my main network I get:

2024-02-05 09:50:00,122 - Inv1 - sync        -  [ERROR   ] - Connection to (nnn.nnn.nn.nnn, 8899) failed: timed out
2024-02-05 09:50:01,174 - Inv1 - sync        -  [ERROR   ] - Connection to (nnn.nnn.nn.nnn, 8899) failed: [Errno 113] Host is unreachable

When I try and connect from an Android app associated to the device whilst my phone is connected to the main network it also fails but if I connect my phone to the Guest network it works.

This makes me think there is something that is stopping my main network talking to devices on the Guest network. 

1) Is this expected behavior for the M5? I know devices on the Guest network cant connect to resources on Main but didn't think it was the other way around?

2) If this is the case then how can I fix it, do I need to star setting up Static Routes as haven't used those before?

3) Or will it only work if I move all my devices in to the same network?

Many thanks,

Ross

Options
6 Reply
Re:Deco M5Main/Guest network question
2024-02-05 10:45:05

@Ivyman 

1) Yes, it is working as documented, a device on Guest cannot communicate with a device on Main, even if the communication is initiated from Main.

2) no way to fix

3) indeed

Options
2024-02-05 11:34:34

@yves_b ,

Thanks for the prompt answers.

Am I correct in thinking the "new" IOT network won't help either as it operates under the same basis?

No point in turning that on and moving them to that?

Options
2024-02-05 12:26:12

@Ivyman I am not sure I totally understand IOT on Deco.  I believe it is intended for devices you want to isolate from Internet, but not from the Main.

The IOT wifi certainly does not behave as the Guest wifi.

Options
2024-02-06 01:24:58

@yves_b and @Ivyman 

The purpose of the IoT network is to be able to assign your smart home or similar devices to a single-band network.  A common concern with Smart Home devices is that they don't always work well on a Mesh network that operates on two different bands.  Additionally, a customer may want to segment their network for better management.  So the IoT network can be enabled to meet these two needs. 

Splash into a Smarter Summer - Summer Event and Community Giveaway

Automate and Learn More About Tapo Sub-GHz Sensors, Matter, Apple Home, and Local Smart Actions!

20% Select Sub-G Hubs Available to All Participants! Get Started Here!
Options
2024-02-06 07:54:01

@Carl 

Thanks for clarifying that on thr IOT network. Do you know though wether it allows devices to talk to things hosted on the main network as that is what I need and what the guest network is preventing. (See original post)

Options
2024-02-06 15:47:13

@Ivyman 

At this time the IoT network is not isolated.  So it can communicate with the main network.  That could eventually change but I am not sure if it will or not. 

Splash into a Smarter Summer - Summer Event and Community Giveaway

Automate and Learn More About Tapo Sub-GHz Sensors, Matter, Apple Home, and Local Smart Actions!

20% Select Sub-G Hubs Available to All Participants! Get Started Here!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 253

Replies: 6

Related Articles