Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.5
Model: Deco XE75
Hardware Version: 2
Firmware Version: 1.2.5 Build 20231225 Rel. 58766
Primary DNS 8.8.8.8
Secondary DNS 8.8.4.4
ISP: Charter Spectrum

Hi there, I"m having a perplexing issue with my two Deco XE75s I have at home.  Speeds and connection is great for everything except specifically Meta services (Facebook, Instagram, and WhastApp).  All devices on the network are able to connect to those sites (usually), but connection is so slow the sites are unusable.  There is no slowed connection when hard wired via ethernet cable to the ISP modem, or when accessing Meta content via Tor.  Traceroute and ping cmd usually times out on those Meta sites.

I have performed a factory reset of the routers and no change.  DNS updated to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and no change.  After cloning the MAC address of to the ISP modem or a device on the network to the Deco I completely lost all internet connection.  Confirmed with ISP no issue on their end, they even replaced the modem just to be sure, and the problem persisted (they noted their modems use a dynamic IP).

Not sure what else to try, I'm very curious why Facebook will load on Tor but not Firefox/Chrome/Apps on the Deco wifi.  Any help troubleshooting this would be appreciated!
Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco XE75 Experiencing Very Slow Connection To Only Meta Websites/Apps-Solution
3 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

@DrDobey 

Sorry I didn't read all the responses but I saw I had a similar problem... I went through eveeeerrrrythig. You night of saod you did this also. But for me my netmask was 255.255.255.0 I changed it to 255.255.0.0 

Aaand bam the whole entire lan actually worked again! Sorry if you posted this but hopefully I can help one fool like me!

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco XE75 Experiencing Very Slow Connection To Only Meta Websites/Apps
2024-02-08 18:46:37

@DrDobey,

Tor browsing is a very private and almost crowd-sourced version of browsing - It is much closer to using a VPN than it is to connecting to the internet conventionally.

My first recommendation is normally to change the DNS, so you might consider trying Cloudflares 1.1.1.1 since you already saw no change with Google.

You may also quickly try changing the ethernet port used for your WAN connection to see if there are any changes when the devices negotiate with each other.

Since it only affects one specific set of services, you may check to see if you have any parental controls set for your devices. You should also consider doing a traceroute to see if you can identify at what link the packets begin to have issues. Also, does the slowed facebook behavior happen while connected via wired and wireless connections?

Note for MAC Clone: You would want to take either an old router or use the MAC address from a PC that you know has a verified connection as the cloned MAC. Using the MAC address of your Gateway would likely cause problems, or block the connection entirely. You would then also need to reboot your devices after performing a MAC clone.

Options
Re:Deco XE75 Experiencing Very Slow Connection To Only Meta Websites/Apps
2024-02-09 15:57:11

@Riley_S 

Thanks for the reply!  I tried the 1.1.1.1 DNS and still no improvement.  I changed the ethernet port used for the WAN connection and no improvement.

The issue is for all devices using the Deco wifi, though no parental controls or sites on the block list.  Slowed connection is resolved when hard wired into the ISP modem with ethernet cable or when using Tor.

Traceroute typically looks like this (links modified to [dotcom] to conform to posting rules):

1 5 ms 6 ms 4 ms  192.168.68.1

2 16 ms 15 ms 14 ms  142-254-184-029spectrum[dotcom] [142.254.184.29]

3 29 ms 31 ms 30 ms  lag-62sndhcahr01hcharter[dotcom] [76.167.17.137]

4 *    *    * Request timed out.

5 *    *    * Request timed out.

6 *    *    * Request timed out.

7 *    *    * Request timed out.

8 *    *    * Request timed out.

9 *    *    * Request timed out.

10 *    *    * Request timed out.

11 *    *    * Request timed out.

12 *    *    * Request timed out.

13 *    *    * Request timed out.

14 *    *    * Request timed out.

15 *    *    * Request timed out.

16 *    *    * Request timed out.

17 *    *    * Request timed out.

18 *    *    * Request timed out.

19 *    *    * Request timed out.

20 *    *    * Request timed out.

21 *    *    * Request timed out.

22 *    *    * Request timed out.

23 *    *    * Request timed out.

24 *    *    * Request timed out.

25 *    *    * Request timed out.

26 *    *    * Request timed out.

27 *    *    * Request timed out.

28 *    *    * Request timed out.

29 *    *    * Request timed out.

30 *    *    * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

Traceroute does not time out when hard wired to ISP modem.

Thank you for clarifying the MAC cloning procedure.  I tried cloned the MAC address of an old modem and that too resulted in the router losing internet connection entirely after rebooting.

The problem is still persisting: Facebook/Instagram/WhatsApp are not usable when accessing them through any device on our wifi.  No other services are impacted and the problem is not present on other networks or on a wired connection to our internet.  Any other suggestions?

Options
Re:Deco XE75 Experiencing Very Slow Connection To Only Meta Websites/Apps-Solution
3 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

@DrDobey 

Sorry I didn't read all the responses but I saw I had a similar problem... I went through eveeeerrrrythig. You night of saod you did this also. But for me my netmask was 255.255.255.0 I changed it to 255.255.0.0 

Aaand bam the whole entire lan actually worked again! Sorry if you posted this but hopefully I can help one fool like me!

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 184

Replies: 3

Tags

Tech Support
Related Articles