Mesh network w/ another vendor's extender

2024-02-26 19:47:58
Model: Archer AX55 Pro  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.2 Build 20230803 rel.35127(5553)

I set up a Netgear EAX80 mesh extender (it was a gift).  It appears to have logged onto my network and I think is acting as a mesh device.  But it's hard to tell.  I can log directly onto it, and it does have a way of showing connected client list.  But on the AX55 Pro site, the Netgear EAX80 shows up as a client, not as a mesh device.  Is this an issue?  Do I care?  I thought EasyMesh was supposed to be non-proprietary/vendor agnostic.  Please advise.  TYIA.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Mesh network w/ another vendor's extender
2024-02-26 22:58:39

@bankerjoe 

Can you provide a snapshot of how it shows up on your network?  To be clear EasyMesh is enable on the router and you have the Archer designated as the router right?

Options
2024-02-27 17:59:35

@Carl 

Please see attached snap shots.

Yes, easymesh is enabled and archers are designated as routers.

And allow me to explain.

The extender shows up with a couple different IP addresses, depending on where you look. It doesn't show up in the mesh devices, but shows up in the front end client list with one IP address, then in the DCHP client list with a different IP address (which is the one to use to log into the AX6000 web UI). The clients listed on both the Archer and the AX6000 DCHP client lists match with each other, as they should/is expected. The clients listed for the AX6000 are also listed as clients for the Archer satellite (I'm okay with the daisy chain of AX6000 to Archer Satellite to Archer Main) are also listed as clients for the Archer Satellite, and the AX6000 is listed there too.

It seems to function, quite well in fact, so I don't really care I guess. Except more just looking for clarity on a true confirmation of topology I guess. And then there's the logging in and maintenance. Most of it is fairly automatic, but I do like to check in on things, and it seems somewhat convoluted/not terribly straightforward to do such. I thought EasyMesh was meant to be a standard across platforms/vendors, to help the user experience.

3d4882c4cf034f359836453c23ef13f2 061b476bfd55419dae13d1dfd17c7d39 01f1a08ccaac4829af1dafcee3bccabe d73775e963f84eb6b07eb9f8b61e8639

Options
2024-02-28 18:10:55

@bankerjoe 

I looked up this model EAX80, and even looked at the User Manual on Netgear's website and did not find any mention that Easy Mesh is supported on the product.  Are you sure the extender is an EasyMesh device or is it using proprietary mesh technology from Netgear?   This could be the case similar to how TP-Link offers OneMesh on our products.  

Options
2024-02-29 22:21:26

@Carl 

I thought I had read somewhere that it did, hence why I went ahead and installed it.  The documentation does claim to mesh with any brand.  Also, as near as I can tell, my system is functioning as a mesh.  I just can't necessarily see it through web interfaces.

Options
2024-03-01 15:54:40

@bankerjoe 

Hi Joe,

I had engaged with our QA engineer on this as 3rd part EasyMesh was unfamiliar to me. This is what he said:

de8eb173ceb1489e855ee7d18345f878

So yes you do appear to have an EasyMesh network but it looks as if the EAX80 is a client on one of the nodes, and not a node itself.  My suggestion at least from this point is to check with Netgear, if they have any specific steps for that extender to be put in EasyMesh mode.  I know that our extenders have a specific process,   This video video shows adding a sattilie node.  When adding a node please choose Other and see if the EAX80 shows up, you may need to reset it ti default, or possibly log in and enable a mesh option.   

Options
2024-03-04 17:08:51

@Carl 

I know the process for TP equipment.  It's fairly straightforward.  I tried following the same process and chose other, but I can try again.  Or I may not, I don't honestly know if I care that much.  It was more of a curiosity, and fucntioinally anyway my network is acting more or less like a mesh, with no real measruable lag, etc.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 204

Replies: 6

Related Articles