AX4400 parental controls not working properly

2024-03-01 00:58:43
Model: Archer AX4400  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.2 build 20230927 rel.58345

Parental controls not working properly. 

I set "bedtime" for two devices to be blocked during that duration.  Instead of just blocking those two devices, it blocked almost all connected devices. Plus, it did not allow devices to connect again after the set end time. 

the only way to fix it was to delete the profile and reboot the router.

am I missing something or is it a bug?

I had an archer A8 and the parental controls on it were better and actually worked as expected. 

Options
3 Reply
Re:AX4400 parental controls not working properly
2024-03-01 08:00:17

@Kynomad 

Hi, please run more tests to see if it is really the bedtime blocking internet access for all devices, or the router itself disconnects from internet.

You could also also check Internet LED on the router to see if it turns red/orange, or check internet status on the router web interface or Tether App.

If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2024-03-01 12:47:35

@Sunshine 

I have been trying to figure this out for a few days.  This is what I know for sure. And why I think it's the router. 

- internet connection in the tether app allows shows it's connected

- devices connected to the router when the "bedtime" starts, get blocked. Even if they are not setup in the profile to get blocked. 
- devices that are not connected at the start time, can connect to the router and have no issues using the internet.  If this device is still connected the next day at start time, it's blocked, again not part of the profile to get blocked

- when "bedtime" should end, everything that was blocked is still blocked. 
- just removing devices from the profile does not resolve it. I have to delete the entire profile. 

note, the first few days after setting this router and parental controls up, it was fine. Since then it mainly acts like this. There has been a day or two randomly where things started to work as expected, but it always goes back to this.   

This is my only router device. No extenders, or mesh, or other devices around that could confuse it. I have a single connection to our cable modem to it, and that's it. 

also, I do not have "smart connect" enabled. I have a couple of older devices that require 2.4ghz connection only and they would not connect to the router until I disabled "smart connect". 

one other odd thing about this device (may be unrelated). There are no "wired" devices connected, all wireless, but it always shows in tether that one or two devices are connected as "wired". 

Options
2024-03-07 03:42:06

@Kynomad 

Hi, it is indeed quite strange. You mentioned that there is no any other device that might confuse it, how about any parental control related software installed on any of your client devices that might affect the router function?

Please also try to delete previous parental control profiles, add a new profile with another different client device only, then check if it has the same behavior.

If so, I would like to escalate your case to our senior engineer for debugging.

If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 181

Replies: 3

Related Articles