PX50 - network instability

2024-03-01 00:59:30
Model: Deco PX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.2 Build 20231226

I have a PX50 setup with 3 nodes.   I am using the system in Access Point mode, connected to an ASUS router which is connected to StarLink internet.

When we are watching YouTube TV on an Apple TV device, the stream will sometimes stall.  When that happens, the light on the main Deco unit is solid red.  Other devices on the Deco wifi also lose internet access, but devices connecting directly to the ASUS router still have internet access.

What does the sold red light mean?    From your support information, it sounds like "Deco has a problem", but what is the problem and how do I fix it?    I can't find any useful troubleshooting information on your support pages or in the Deco app.

When "Deco has a problem", am I just supposed to return it?    I have only had it for two weeks, so is that the best solution?

I don't know the actual hardware version.   There was nothing on the label that looked like the hardware version information described on your support website.

Options
2 Reply
Re:PX50 - network instability
2024-03-03 21:00:00

Update to my original post:

When the network stalls and the light on the nodes is solid red, it looks like one of my nodes is disconnected in the Deco app.  The disconnected node is in an outbuilding, about 120 feet from my house.   I think the powerline backhaul to that node must be marginal part of the time and, when it is having an issue, it takes the whole Deco network out.

I think I will return the PX50 and go back to the older powerline network I used before.   I can run a mesh network through that, and if the powerline connection is marginal, it should not take out the whole network.

Options
Re:PX50 - network instability
2024-03-04 20:59:39

@MxD ,

Powerline networks are always finicky, and the behavior most likely has something to do with the disconnecting node. Powerline nodes all communicate together, so taking one out of the equation may be causing them to reconfigure their entire backhaul. Saying that, the Decos should be able to seamlessly change their backhauls to use a wireless connection to overcome the instability - how spread apart are all of your nodes?

While the one from the outhouse is too far to optimize its connection, can the other nodes switch to a wireless backhaul?

You may try removing the outdoor node to see if the behavior continues, as mesh nodes and even powerline are not really designed to be used that far apart.

We normally recommend keeping powerline Decos on the same circuit to increase the throughput and stability. I would try to make sure that your nodes can efficiently communicate with each other, and that the powerline signal is not being 'forwarded' through the outhouse's node.

Splash into a Smarter Summer - Summer Event and Community Giveaway

Automate and Learn More About Tapo Sub-GHz Sensors, Matter, Apple Home, and Local Smart Actions!

20% Select Sub-G Hubs Available to All Participants! | Get Started Here!
Options