possible to setup two locations with same SSID in application?

2024-03-03 16:14:23
Model: Deco X55  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1,4,1

I have a cabin in another state.  I have a 3 unit deco setup at the cabin and it is working perfectly.  I would also like to purchase a new Deco mesh system for my primary home.  In looking at the app it seems the SSID is used to identify the network.  I don't see any way to create a new "location" in the app.  Both my house and my cabin use the same SSID and I would like to continue to use the same SSID.

Will the app support a new mesh system so that I can manage each location in the app?

Options
6 Reply
Re:possible to setup two locations with same SSID in application?
2024-03-05 00:41:14

Hey @lvwts,

Instead of it being listed as a new location, you will want to use the feature to "Create a New Network," which will allow you to manage both networks under the same account in the Deco App. 

See FAQ: How to Create a New Network in the Deco App

Keep in mind that the networks are considered separate networks, so you would need to change the SSID and Password to match that of your current network for your devices to reconnect to both networks automatically. 

Options
2024-03-05 00:48:30

@Riley_S 

Thanks.  Just one clarification on this comment:

"Keep in mind that the networks are considered separate networks, so you would need to change the SSID and Password to match that of your current network for your devices to reconnect to both networks automatically. "

In my scenario both "networks" will have the same SSID and the same password.  They are physically distinct networks.  There is no way that a device would incorrectly connect to the "wrong" network as they are hundreds of miles apart from each other.   Is that an issue?   On the new network I will have to designate a new "main" router as well.

Options
2024-03-05 01:36:53

Hey @lvwts,

It will not be an issue at all. You will just have two completely separate networks from a networking point of view - as they will be connecting through completely different ISP/Public IP Address. And yes, you will have a main node for each network, this will be the node that connects to your ISP in each network.

These two networks will operate independently of each other - you will simply be changing the settings to match across the two distinct networks. It is moreso that if you change the password on one network, you will want to change the password of your other deco network to match, otherwise devices will not be able to connect to both. This is the same way that universities will provide the same wireless network to students across all campuses.

Options
2024-03-27 01:11:06

@Riley_S 

So I'm not sure if you understood me or not, but what you said will work absolutely DOES NOT WORK.  Based on your assurances I purchased this unit and it absolutely does not allow you to add a new network with the same SSID as the previous network that I had in the app.  When I got to that point it said something to the affect that "there is already a network with this name, choose another name".  So now I am trying to determine if I will just return these devices or go through the effort of changing all of my devices to an alternate SSID.  This is NOT FUN at all.

Options
2024-03-27 07:40:52

@lvwts 

I expect the two identical networks have simply to be linked to two distinct tp-link accounts. 

I believe the app allows you to do that, you can log out, create additional accounts, and, at login, select an account.

Options
2024-03-29 20:21:49

Hey @lvwts,

After talking with our engineering team, I do not believe that this is the intended behavior and you should be able to use the same SSID for both networks, under one TP-Link ID

They requested that you try setting up the second network while the first network is disconnected, if possible.

Also, have you tried setting up the second network using another network name during the initial setup process, and then changing the SSID through the normal settings later? 

Options