Remove networks from Deco app without resetting the network?

2024-03-11 14:59:47

I own and operate a small computer repair and consulting company.  I have set up Deco mesh networks for about a dozen customers, and they (and I) are delighted with the results.

When I set up their network, I do the network and device configuration using the Deco app on MY phone, and as a result, I am the owner and manager of the resulting networks.  This is OK, and in fact desireable, for the short term as we test and ensure that everything is working as desired.  Once the network is proven correct, however, I want to "turn over the keys" to the customer for long-term management... and just to get their networks off of my phone!

I am aware of the method to have the customer register for a TP-Link account and then transfer management and ownership to them, at which time the network disappears from my app until/unless they add ME as a manager.  However, I have some customers who, despite my pestering, can't be bothered to take the time to create a TP-Link account so I can transfer ownership to them.

With that as background: is there any way for me to remove customer networks from MY TP-Link app without causing the existing network configuration to be lost?  (I don't care if the customer ever sets up the app and tries to manage the network at all... I just don't want their gear to get factory reset if I manage to remove their network from MY app.)

Thanks!

Options
2 Reply
Re:Remove networks from Deco app without resetting the network?
2024-03-13 00:43:39

Hey @TomKarpowitz,

I will pass along the feedback that this is a desired feature, maybe as an advanced option for specific use cases such as yours.

I believe that the lack of a feature such as this is by design in order to improve security and the overall end-user experience.

Currently, the networks are tied to your TP-Link ID and your information and data is the only thing that can be used to log into the network and maintain the active cloud connections. This is also because some of the features used, such as HomeShield, are directly tied to your account, rather than the devices. Even if a network is not reset when removing from your app, the only way for your clients to then make changes is to fully reset the network and start again.

Right now, the removal/deletion of the network in the app is one of the official methods for resetting your entire network and is also useful due to the fact that it will remove any remnants of the network from the app when having to troubleshoot and reset your network - rather than leaving a half configured node or having to manually reset each node by hand.

Splash into a Smarter Summer - Summer Event and Community Giveaway

Automate and Learn More About Tapo Sub-GHz Sensors, Matter, Apple Home, and Local Smart Actions!

20% Select Sub-G Hubs Available to All Participants! | Get Started Here!
Options
Re:Remove networks from Deco app without resetting the network?
2024-03-13 01:09:20

Thanks for taking the time to reply, offering your insights and explanations, and offering to take this suggestion as an RFE!  Truly outstanding customer service.

As a former professional dev, I completely agree with the reasoning behind the way things are done.  But I think I'm probably not alone in finding myself in the position I described, and quite often.  If the customer IS interested in assuming ownership/management of their network (which of course is what I recommend), your app makes it downright trivial to do so.  But in my experience, unfortunately it's all too common that my customers feel that they hired ME to worry about all of this networking stuff, and once I have it set up and operational, they don't want any part of it.  You and I might cringe at that attitude, but there it is.  So for those customers, if they don't want to be bothered doing something as simple as setting up an online account so that I can transfer ownership to them, so be it... that's on THEM.  And if, down the road, they find that they DO need to make a change and find that they have to recreate the whole network from scratch... well, they'll reap what they sow.  But I think it still feeds a need to have some method (even if it's advanced and secret and you need five signatures to use it) to remove the network from the app without tearing down the network -- essentially "abandoing it from management" -- with full knowledge of the consequences of doing so.

So carrying this forward for me as an RFE is greatly appreciated.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 196

Replies: 2

Related Articles