Tags: #Client Devices #PPPoE
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I am trying to configure my home network using the following:

Internet service: Starlink - set to Bypass Mode

Ubiquiti Unifi Express

Deco Mesh S4 (three units)

I like the connectivity and speed of my Deco Mesh system. It is very impressive. However, the Deco app offers very limited visibility.

I have a Unifi Express unit which is quite amazing. What I am trying to accomplish is to connect Unifi Express to the Starlink router and then connect the Deco Mesh to the Unifi Express. I have the Unifi Express successfully set up and working with connectivity but limited coverage.

The problem is I don't know how to connect the Deco mesh to the Unifi Express. I read something about PPPoE, but it was not clear enough how to set it up.

Is it possible to connect the Deco Mesh to the Unifi Express and if so, what is the best way to do it. If I can get the control and visibility of Unifi with the coverage and speed of the Deco Mesh system I will be one happy network administrator.

Options
8 Reply
Re:Connecting Deco Mesh with Unifi Express
2024-03-22 23:07:18

Hey @Thinking29999,

Your best bet for this would likely be to use the Decos in AP Mode, rather than Router Mode, and give the controls over to the Ubiquiti Express. (Starlink > Ubiquiti > Main AP Deco > Satellite Decos)

I do not know the features and functionality of the express, but it is likely going to operate at the head of your network as your router. This does also mean that you will lose some of the Decos functions as it is no longer running the DHCP server for the network and cannot keep track of all your devices. Your speeds and performance will continue to function as is. However, the Express will be the router in charge of managing the routes.

It is likely possible that you could configure the express to allow the Decos to work in router mode, but this would likely be more work than it is worth  - as AP mode will provide a largely similar Wi-Fi experience.

Options
2024-03-23 17:11:54

@Riley_S Thank you for taking the time to respond. I appreciate that insights.

Options
2024-03-25 05:34:30

@Thinking29999 I concur it is better to run the Deco in AP mode in such setup.

If you want to keep the Deco in Router Mode, I believe you have to configure the Internet Connection Type as "Dynamic IP".

Options
2024-03-25 22:43:50 - last edited 2024-03-25 22:44:39

@yves_b, @Riley_S I appreciate the encouragement that this may be possible.

If you could indulge me just a bit, I have some additional questions about how this can be done.

I am using StarLink for my ISP until our neighborhood gets fiber. With just the TP Link Deco mesh (3 units) I am getting 130/20 to 200/20 on a consistent basis with seamless movement between nodes. Would putting the Unifi Express in front of that impact the speeds at all? If not, that leads to the next question.

With the Unifi Express attached to the WAN port then the Deco Mesh would plug into the LAN port. Would I then configure the Mesh using the TP Link Deco app or would it be configured through Unifi Express? How would Express see the Deco Mesh units?

These probably seem like basic questions, but I am very new to networking. I have set up the Unifi Express by itself and the Deco Mesh by itself, but combining the two is a whole new level of networking for me.

Thanks in advance.

Options
2024-03-26 01:05:18

Hey @Thinking29999,

I would be happy to help out. Basically, the UniFi will force you to distinguish between what is your Local Network vs Your Wireless Network. While the UniFi will manage your entire network, your Decos will only manage the wireless connections and funnel these back into your local network(unifi for processing and routing)

- Your Unifi Express takes over most of the key management features of your entire network and adds an additional step/process that your data must pass through, so technically it could affect the speeds.

FAQ: What the Difference Between the Deco's Router and AP Mode?

- Your Deco Mesh will always be configured via the Deco App. The Unifi would only be able to see the traffic passing through the wired ports, and could control the allowed bandwidth for each of its ports.

- Your Parental Controls and Routes would then be configured on the Unifi, While all your Wi-Fi related settings would be in the Deco App. Removing the Unifi Express would allow your Deco network to handle all of these functions.

If you are going to continue using the Unifi, try setting up the Decos in AP mode, - and unless there are specific UniFi features that you are looking to take advantage of, you may consider removing it from the equation entirely and letting your Decos handle your entire network.

Options
2024-03-26 01:36:36

@Riley_S So while including the Unifi Express would provide some Unifi features your recommendation is to simply go with the Deco Mesh. I must admit that the speed and seamless meshing makes me somewhat inclined to agree with you.

Options
2024-03-27 08:12:22

@Thinking29999 Perhaps you should describe what are the amazing features of the Unifi Express, and what you expect from it, versus the limited visibility offered by the Deco app.

To benefit from the seamless mesh, you have to disable the wifi of the Unifi.

The Unifi will see the main Deco, as well as all devices connected to the Deco, as devices connected by cable to the Unifi.  Just like if the Deco was an Ethernet switch.

Options
2024-03-27 13:35:03

@yves_b Please understand that I am fairly new to networking. At work I got introducted to Ubiquiti Unifi with a full system of routers, switches and APs. So when I found that Unifi had the Express I decided to give it a try. The console provides a lot of granularity for creating multiple networks as well as visibility to signal strength and coverage. However, one Express unit was not enough coverage for my home. I considered buying additional Express units but the costs quickly added up. Doing additional research I discovered the Deco Mesh system and was impressed with the positive reviews and the price. I was able to purchase three mesh units for less than the cost of the Unifi Express. The coverage in my home is perfect. I get full coverage with maximum speeds in virtually every corner of my home. Absolutely nothing to complain about there. 

With that problem solved I began to wonder if it would be possible to have the best of both worlds. Could I get the granular view of Unifi Express with the seamless coverage and speed of the Deco Mesh? I tried to connect the Deco Mesh to the Unifi Express LAN port and was not able to figure out next steps. I figured that it wasn't really practical so I returned the Unifi Express, but I am still curious if my original vision is actually possible or even practical.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 250

Replies: 8

Tags

Related Articles