Archer AX21 front lights, Pi-Hole installation

2024-03-27 22:16:36

First, this is my first real foray into the network world (hanging on by my fingernails).

Provider is Xfinity.  Recently I stumbled across Pi-Hole. So I equipted myself with a Raspberry Pi 4, keyboard, mouse etc. "Took" a few lessons from a YT channel on "Networking for Dummies". Followed a YT channel on "how to install" Pi-Hole. 

Soon found out the supplied Xfinity modem/router (for home use) does not provide a path to define a static IP for the Pi-hole, which is required. So after a little research I set the Xfinity into "Bridge" mode, purchased a TP-Link AX21, set it up and defined a static primary DSN as the IP address of the Pi-Hole.  Crossed my fingers and fired it all up. Much to my delight (and a bit of surpise), it all worked! For a while, that is. Everything worked perfectly for a coupla days(I Love not seeing those ROKU ads), then one morning the "internet" led on the front of the AX21 was red. Now what was confusing is I had internet connectivy but all my local stuff (iphone apps for the garage door opener, my yard irrigation app and others) would not respond. I fooled around a bit (don't actually remember the specific sequence of events) but you know the drill, power off, disconnect stuff, recoconnect, power on, wait a while. Eventually I glanced up at the router and the internet led was green. Checked my apps... all working.

Fast forward a day or 2. This happened this morning the second time. Couldn't get that darn internet light to go green. Finally set up a Chat with TP-Link. Like I sorta expected, basically they wanted me to do a factory reset on their router. Which I translated into (they don't have a clue what is actually wrong). So I politely thanked him for his effort, and terminated the chat. 

So the short version of my question is... if that led is the 'internet' indicator, why, when it goes red, do I still have internet but cannot launch my local stuff from my iphone. And of course, why does it go red in the first place?  

Options
6 Reply
Re:Archer AX21 front lights, Pi-Hole installation
2024-03-27 23:30:29 - last edited 2024-03-27 23:32:38

@Fatfenders  

I suspect it is more of an issue with the Xfinity gateway/modem. If you google it, you will see others with issues. I have Xfinity and got my own modem. No more lease fee from xfinity. If you want a modem, be sure to get one compatable with Xfinity. Search their web site for the acceptacle modems. Do get one for a higher speed teir. 

BTY Great job on the Pi Hole. I have thought about one but have not a great need for one. 

Options
2024-03-27 23:36:33
Thanks... mind if I ask which modem you got?
Options
2024-03-27 23:46:44
Is it true when you swap out the Xfinity modem for your own you need to contact them? Seems I recall something about having to tell them about the new MAC address (or something). Yea, the Pi-hole is kinda fun. I still have a lot to learn but right away I could see that I get around 15-20k inquired in any given 24 hour time frame with about 12% Blocked.
Options
2024-03-27 23:56:22

@Fatfenders 

I have had mine for many years, a Motorola MB8600 which they no longer list but still support. I got it when my speed was 200, now my speed teir is 500. As I recall it is good for 1000. It has 32 down and 8 up channels which Xfinity does not supply all the up channels at my speed teir. It does supports ipv6 and docsis 3.1. 

They may use different equipment in different areas. Look in 'my device info' in the xfinity site. Pick one that allows for growth as they last and generaly modems have no issues. Use good cables. 

Options
2024-03-28 00:03:59

@Fatfenders 

I just looked at the Xfinity website, and they now use the xfinity app to allow you to install your own modem.

Options
2024-03-28 02:29:32
Great. Thanks for that. BTW... its still up and runn'n.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 135

Replies: 6

Related Articles