Mesh WIFI and router

Mesh WIFI and router

Mesh WIFI and router
Mesh WIFI and router
2024-03-29 16:43:41

hello, new to the forum, I am looking for recommendations on TP routers and mesh devices and full setup.

I am building a new home and looking to start off fresh with a new system.  

I will bringing in internet cable from Shentel.  Was planning on installing my own modem Arris SB8200 with a TPlink router AX3000 then connecting TP link AX3000 (Deco X55 Pro) for my whole House WiFi.  Question is does this setup work or is it overkill?  What I can't figure out is do I need a router and my Deco X55 unit or just me X55 unit to distribute my network?   The mode, router and one of the X55s will be in my home office.  I then going to connect my X55 to a network switch and feed out to 2 more X55s for full coverage.  

Thank you,

Options
5 Reply
Re:Mesh WIFI and router
2024-03-30 00:17:54

@eeyankee 

A lot depends on your house layout and size. I prefer keeping things simple. I would get a modem that works with your ISP that is in a faster tier to allow room for growth. If you are considering and need a mesh system then go with an all mesh system. If a good single router will cover the area, go with that. 

Also since it is new construction, I would run raceways with ethernet cables to as many places where I think I would need them. All mesh points, tv, garage, out buildings, security cameras, ...  Raceways will allow you to pull new cables as the future changes. Maybe optical or something else will be in use in ten years. 

Options
2024-03-30 18:45:16

@eeyankee 

On it; I wired all TVs, DECO locations and our boat dock with ethernet for fast speed via my AV rack mounted network switch.  

My question is from what I read if I place the DECOs in router mode I don't need a router, is that correct?  

thank you

Options
2024-03-30 22:45:24

@eeyankee 

I have not used a mesh system, but as I understand, no extra router is needed as one of the mesh units is in router mode. 

Options
2024-04-01 11:52:04

@eeyankee 

thank you, i belive that is true that a router is not needed.  

Options
2024-04-02 21:20:29

@eeyankee 

That's correct - as long as your main Deco unit is in router mdoe, you don't need an extra router.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 82

Replies: 5

Related Articles