EasyMesh performance

EasyMesh performance

EasyMesh performance
EasyMesh performance
3 weeks ago
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.1 Build 20240322 rel.60800(5553)

Hello!

I've just got a mesh system consisting of a BE800 main router, and AX55 and BE9300 satellites. Everything's running latest (beta for AX55) firmware with support for Ethernet backhaul, and satellites are hardwired with 1Gb connections.

From the main router, I get full speed (about 580Mb/s download). From satellites, either wired or wireless, I am getting only about 90Mb/s download speed. When I originally had the AX55 connected in AP mode with a separate wireless network, it was giving me full speed, but of course I got the whole setup specifically for a seamless mesh.

Is this a normal performance one can expect from a mesh, or is something wrong there? Satellites do show up as being connected over Ethernet, so it's (probably) not trying to do a WiFi backhaul which would not work too well given the distance...

Thanks!

Options
13 Reply
Re:EasyMesh performance
3 weeks ago

@BorisM 

The speed of 90mbps is way bellow normal while using gigabit ethernet connections.

My gues is that there's a ethernet cable issue and instead 1000 mbps the connection between main router and satellites are 100 mbps.

Replace these cables and check if there's a speed improvemnt.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
3 weeks ago

@terziyski Thanks, but that does not appear to be the case: 1) both satellites report 1000Mb connection, and 2) if a satellite is connected as just an AP, in the same location and with the same cable, the speed is normal.

Seems to be something specific to the mesh...

Options
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

@BorisM 

Well, it was worth exploring this hypothesis - that's a common issue when ethernet cables are not a good quality.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
3 weeks ago

@terziyski Definitely, but in my case everything is wired with CAT6e cabvle (for some future proofing) and tested to be at least 1Gb. Probably could run at higher speeds, too, but I don't have anything faster yet...

Options
3 weeks ago

@BorisM 

There's no point to do that, even Cat 5e would do the job for the test.

Options
3 weeks ago

@terziyski For 1Gb it wouldn't, but at some point I will want to upgrade at least the uplink between the office (where cable modem comes in) and the distribution switch in the far closet from where everything runs to the first floor and other rooms upstair to a 10Gb link (and maybe get a 10Gb card for the NAS as well). Length of the run through the attic is enough that it would be pushing it for CAT6, and it did not seem to be worth it putting different cables for different runs, and replacving cables inside wealls is a pain, so I had everything done with 6a, and hopefully I will not have to think about cabling for the next 20 years...

Anyway frownthe point is that connections to satellites are fast enough:

0489d4ef1f49420b961e68b5f2aa84a1

and are tested to provide correct performance in AP mode, but slow down by a factor of ~6.5 when in mesh mode, which seems quite wrong...

Options
3 weeks ago

@BorisM 

So either connected to AX55 or Archer BE550 you get no more than 90 mbps, correct ? I really don't know how to approach this issue - have you tried to power off AX55 and test the rest of the mesh ?

if someone can't suggest a troubleshooting direction, probably contacting your local support would be best.

Options
3 weeks ago

@terziyski Yeah, rebooted everything a few times, dropped and reconnected satellites etc.

I've sent a support request in; since Ethernet backhaul is rather new and often only in Beta firmware, thought I'd check here in case anyone had seen something like that...

Options
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

@BorisM 

My point was to temporary turn off (not restarting) the AX55 since it's the only device that supports an etherner backhaul trough a beta FW.

The mesh will opearte only between BE800 and BE9300 thus excluding the possibility AX55 beta FW causing your issue.

Options
3 weeks ago

@terziyski Did that, too, although I probably will nreed to run another test on satellites today when i am done working (or staring at eclipse...), it feels better today. Weird.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 343

Replies: 13

Related Articles