Feedback -or- Feature update request -- Web admin interface icon colors
Feedback -or- Feature update request -- Web admin interface icon colors
2024-04-09 23:09:13
Tags: #Feature Request #Admin Interface
Model: Archer C4000  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.6 Build 20231010 rel.6028

Hello community and TP-Link! 

A little background info. I'm a retired military network infrastructure tech, among other things. I've worked with a lot of platforms, and on all of those platforms where color choice was an option for status display, i.e. not a single-color LED on a board, there has been a universal theme present across all systems and manufacturers. They all use stoplight colors to indicate status.

I have this Archer C4000 v3. I realize that tp-link has some branding going on here, with teal and white and gold as its brand colors, and that's a good thing! Branding is important! I mean, UPS is brown and gold, right? Unless it's the UPS Store, which is inexplicably brown, gold, and blue. Maybe that's not a good example. Maybe that's a good example of confusing branding, but I digress.

The web interface on these Archer devices has this recurring brand theme, and while it's good to stay on brand generally, it's a bad idea in my opinion to use gold as an icon color, for a couple of reasons.

1. First, it universally indicates that there's a problem. Caution. Much like red would mean something stopped. Green, of course, would mean everything's okay. Corbin: "Are we green?" Ruby: [uncomfortably] "Super green!" You get the idea. I'm looking especially at the wifi symbols here and the yellow checkmark next to Internet.
  2. Second, it's very difficult to read clearly on the white or gray background. The little bingo ball emojis with a solid gold dot and a white number or checkmark are hard to read on a white background, and turning up the brightness doesn't improve it. 

Can we get the status icons corrected to a color that makes sense from a functional standpoint? Preferably the stoplight colors that have been in use for 40+ years on network equipment, or at least the same color as the regular text so it plays nice with dark mode and contrasts the background? 

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Options