Guest Network Doesn't Work Unless I Enable Guest Access to LAN

2024-04-16 15:09:39 - last edited 2024-04-16 16:02:42
Model: Archer C5400  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.9 Build 20230907 rel.96516(5553)

I am trying to setup a 2.4Ghz guest network on my C5400 router isolated from my LAN. The guest network has no internet unless I enable "Allow Guests to Access My Local Network." I don't want to do that since the entire point of a guest network is to isolate it from your LAN.

I am on the latest firmware (1.2.9 Build 20230907).

This exact same problem was posted back in May 2021 by another forum member but received no replies from any forum members nor TP-Link customer support.

I realize that I am using an old model router but it meets my needs perfectly.  It has 3 bands and has excellent coverage in my house, Can anyone who is perhaps using this router (C5400) confirm that they were able to set up a functioning guest network that is isolated from their main networks??  Alternately can TP-Link customer support confirm that it is perhaps a software issue and not hardware.

Thanks to all . . .

Options
5 Reply
Re:Guest Network Doesn't Work Unless I Enable Guest Access to LAN
2024-04-16 21:58:05 - last edited 2024-04-16 22:01:18

@gandalf1369 

There are certain situations (very rare) that this could happen:

1. When the router works as an AP or a wireless switch - details.

2. When hardware NAT (NAT Boost) is disabled - described here.

I don't know how relevant to your case are those but I think it's worth mentiioning.

Have you tried to reset the router to its factory defaults (by the reset button), re-configure only basic settings and test.

You could make a configuration backup and then restore in case this doesn't help either.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-04-17 12:00:41

@terziyski 

Thanks very much for the reply.  The router is currently operating in "Router" mode and not  AP.  Both NAT and NAT BOOST are enabled so that shouldn't be the problem.  I'll try resetting the router using the reset button and power switch later.

Again,, thank you for helping . . . 

Options
2024-04-17 13:35:44

@gandalf1369 

Pay attention that in this scenario the device is still in router mode but it works as an AP.

If you look at the diagram in the document the main router (white color) is connected to the LAN port (not WAN) of the device in question (black color).

If that's not the case with your topology then proceed with the reset procedure at your convenience.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-04-17 14:43:10

@terziyski 

Perhaps I'm not understanding exactly what you mean when you say that "in this scenario the device is still in router mode but it works as an AP".   Here's a screenshot of how I have the router set up.

d67baea1efb640ccb191d841d8866b8a

The router is directly connected to the cable modem via the WAN port on the router.  For purposes of using the Guest Network is this not correct??

Options
2024-04-17 15:14:54

@gandalf1369 

It's correct as long as you use the WAN port of the router.

The scenario I was pointing out is if you use Case 2 from this FAQ - apparently that's not your case.

The last resort would be resetting the router to its factory defaults by pressing the reset button for about 10 seconds.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 147

Replies: 5

Related Articles