Tp Link Home Or Pro Can't Make Up My Mind

a week ago - last edited a week ago
Model: Archer AXE300  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.6

I just recently Got The New AXE 16000 Archer AXE300 To Replace My Current Tp Link Router.

I am trying To Decide If Home Shield pro is Worth it To me? Just can't make up my mind? 

I know i don't need parental Controls. 

Not Sure If I Really need It Either? 

I Am A Home user With Fiber Coming Shortly Currently On Dsl Don't laugh i know all The jokes lol

I have Wired Security Cameras Run To A Dvr And hooked To The Internet Thru A switch To access Outside of Home.

I try to hard wire everything. but i have like 5 or so devices on wifi.

We are adding more security cameras shortly not sure if hard wired or wifi based??

I have 2 printers networked in thru the switch. 

I run my internet wire to the router then to the switch. I assume this is the best way for total security??? 

Besides parental controls that i don't need. 

Does anyone think the pro version is Worth it??? 

All suggestions welcomed

Windows 11 desktop 

windows 11 laptop 

Thanks everyone 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Tp Link Home Or Pro Can't Make Up My Mind-Solution

@BrianC1995 

I think it depends on your risk levels. For example wifi, how many other can get your wifi signal such as living in an apartment vs a remote home. Are you in a profession where you may be at higher risk? 

It sounds like you have open ports that may be a higher risk. Is UPnP on or WPS on as that is a risk. Are you hiding the ssid as that is a higher risk.

I do not use any of the paid router security features for home use as I consider my home low risk and my activities low risk.  I do use a VPN when traveling. 

If I was at a higher risk at home, I would be looking for something like pfSense instead.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Tp Link Home Or Pro Can't Make Up My Mind-Solution

@BrianC1995 

I think it depends on your risk levels. For example wifi, how many other can get your wifi signal such as living in an apartment vs a remote home. Are you in a profession where you may be at higher risk? 

It sounds like you have open ports that may be a higher risk. Is UPnP on or WPS on as that is a risk. Are you hiding the ssid as that is a higher risk.

I do not use any of the paid router security features for home use as I consider my home low risk and my activities low risk.  I do use a VPN when traveling. 

If I was at a higher risk at home, I would be looking for something like pfSense instead.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Tp Link Home Or Pro Can't Make Up My Mind
a week ago

@ArcherC8 Good morning 

Thank you for your reply! :)

I am Actually out in a rural setting. Close neighbors Most don't have many things on wifi. I can pick up my signal at all of them. 

No I Am Just a general user enthusiast. 

UPnP And WPS are turned off

I am not hiding my ssid 

I do know a lot of stuff is tied to my email address and ip address.

I wonder if i could get a new ip address from my isp?

Right now i am on dsl but fiber is around the corner. 

I also have a vpn setup on my router.

What security suite do you have? 

Currently have norton :(

I have tried them all pretty much. 

Everyone has a preference i guess? 

I am currently running the tp link ax10000

Just got the Archer axe300 

Getting ready to install in a few days. 

I am really just now getting back into fooling with computers

i have limited knowledge of them 

but have built a few and can do general stuff working on them.

May i ask where you aquired your knowledge of computers? 

Thank you once agin for your answer i really appreciate it so much!! :)

Brian 

Options
a week ago

@BrianC1995 

I am a retired IT developer but I worked on mainframes.

I did some work from home later in my work life and had to use a VPN into my Windows work PC which was connected to multiple mainframes. 

I used PCs before the first IBM PC and before Windows.

I switched to mostly Apple gear at home back when I was still working and have stayed with Apple.  So my current set up is Apple. Have used Linksys, Asus, and TP Link routers and use my own modems instead of the ISP gateways from several different providers. Right now I am on a Motorolla modem and an Asus router.  My ISP is Xfinity with 500 service, have about 30 devices, use port forwarding,  multiple ssid, and guest networks. I have played with many settings and different set up even using extenders. I like to understand the new features as they come out and see if the benefit me. Liked the idea of a Mesh system but I just did not need that type of system. 

I had a few issues over the years and the forums have helped me. Now I try to help others when I can. 

I do not use any of the paid security systems but do use different free ones. Have used Norton in the past and it seemed to slow down my computer so I stopped using it. 

I keep most of my hardware current and the software as current as possible. 

Options
a week ago

@ArcherC8 Good morning 

People like you are the ones i like to pick there brains on stuff. Since i was little i crave knowledge to the point of obsession.

I got my first computer back in 1996 i think? 

It was a ibm aptiva 233 mhz processor with a monitor cost me 3500.00 then 6 months later half that lol

When i cut it on it crashed first thing that got me hooked! LOL

Been fooling with them since then. But last 14 years been taking a break. But now wanting to get back in to  everything.

I can build them and do general troubleshooting of them. 

I had a computer business back in late 90's 

I have thought about playing with apple stuff just never got into them no one around here has any i could play with.

Maybe soon someone will be getting rid of one i can pick up cheap or free???? Very doubtful

I see now they solder everything to the board which is a pain in the rear  but more money for them i think? 

I know back in the days of dial-up some how i got into nasa?/ scared the blank  out of me all i did was unplug the phone line. 

I have been wanting to try programming and coding but in 2019 out of the blue i had a stroke so everything different how i learn and my attention span. 

I hope to see the fiber here by December they said can't wait. 

I think were going with the 500/500 up and down package for 110.00 a month. Not sure if that is a fair price or not? but no choice unless i want t mobile home internet

I appreciate you helping me out and talking to me! :)

I love to learn anything new at all. 

Knock on wood only had 2 viruses since i started back in 1996 mostly around that time. 

Yes i keep my system and software up to date 

just got a new one last jan due to new rules for windows 11 plus damn thing just kept beeping no certain times  for no reason i could not trace it down and neither could a 

real computer tech guy lol 

I just redid the laptop and only have windows defender on it and  def faster. 

I hate all the ways they track you i try to keep that out or to a min.

Have a good day sir i appreciate you talking to me i  enjoy all the knowledge you have that i can learn from.

Sincerely 

Brian 

Options