EAP110-Outdoor firmware update?

a week ago

Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can offer. I have a hardwired backhaul network with four access points: TP-Link router (currently wifi off); two EAP-225 Outdoor WAPs and one EAP-110 Outdoor WAP. In the past I've been able to use the cell phone Omada app to access all three but now the app says "unable to complete operation" when I try to access the EAP-110. It works fine with the EAP-225s and I can get to the EAP-110 using a web browser directly, but I miss the convenience of the Omada app.

The network still works very well, but from time to time I like to check and see if any unknown devices have connected, or one of my indoor devices has locked onto the outside EAP. 

No help from the Omada app - it must have been updated in the last month or so. I assume (?) I need a firmware upgrade for the EAP in order to use the app. Current firmware is 3.3.0 Build 20190301 Rel. 37118(5553), a 2019 version. I can find no updated firmware anywhere on the tp-link website. If anyone can point me to updated firmware for my EAP-110 I'd really appreciate it.

Options
7 Reply
Re:EAP110-Outdoor firmware update?
a week ago

@pscarbor 

Which HW version is your EAP-110 Outdoor ? What's its FW region - US ? Look at the device back sticker - details.

Also, if you use an Omada controller, what version is it ?

You need this information to be able to download the correct FW for your EAP-110 Outdoor.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
a week ago

@terziyski  Thanks, turns out it's in the business section. I downloaded and installed the latest firmware, reconfigured the unit, and of course (!) it no longer works. I'll reach out to business support, maybe they can help. Or maybe I can just roll the firmware back to a working version.

Options
a week ago

@pscarbor 

Yes, you can post your issue in the business section of the community - here.

What FW version did you update with and why's the reconfiguration ?

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
a week ago - last edited a week ago

@terziyski apologies for the long explanation. I have a wired backhaul network with two EAP-225 WAPs in my house and a EAP-110 outside, used primarily to connect one wireless security camera (all the other cameras are wired). Everything worked fine for about 5 years. I used a browser connection and my PC to do involved configuration and the TP-Link Omada cell app for quick checks and blocking.

So about two weeks ago I noticed the Omada app would no longer recognize the EAP-110, although it would still see the two EAP-225's, apparently due to an app upgrade. I checked and since I had a 2019 firmware version in the EAP-110 I thought a FW update would allow the Omada app to recognize the EAP-110.

So short story long, I got the latest firmware from the business section (5.0.7 Build 20230410 Rel. 69645(5553)), installed it, and reconfigured it as it previously was: fixed IP 192.168.1.3, same SSID, same password. Now the Omada app recognizes the EAP-110. Problem is the camera will not connect to it. My cell phone connects just fine, but not the camera.

The camera like the WAP is fixed IP (192.168.1.91). I suspect the issue is either some glitch in the firmware that blocks IP addresses in a certain range - why TP-Link would do that is a mystery - or some kind of security issue. Both the WAP and the camera use WPA-PSK but I did notice that TP-Link eliminated a couple of older protocols in the firmware, so maybe thats the problem.

Anyway I sent a support email to TP-Link Business, hopefully they can provide an answer. I may also try an earlier FW version - there are three in the Business Support section. Regrettably the original version I had that worked is no longer available and there was no way to save it.

Thank you for your responses and apologies for the long explanation. Lesson learned: If it ain't broke don't fix it! :)

Options
a week ago

@pscarbor 

I presume that your EAP-110 is HW v3.

Now I see why you had to re-configure the EAP - after FW version 3.20.0 Build 20200511 your configuration will be reset after upgrading, if you use the EAP in standalone mode.

I would recommend to use as a wireless encryption WPA2-PSK(AES) for better security (if your camera supports that).

Configure the EAP-110 wireless settings, then reset the camnera to its factory defaults and finally re-add it to your EAP-110 wireless network.

Options
a week ago

@terziyski thanks, did all that. You are correct, it is v3 hardware. The EAP-110 uses WPA-PSK; per the release notes all other formats were removed. The camera is also WPA-PSK as far as I can determine. I got a response from Business Support, they promise to email an answer in two days. I think I'll have to use an earlier firmware version - these things tend to have bugs that don't get worked out for a year or two.

I'll keep you posted.

Options
a week ago

@terziyski switced encryption from WPA-PSK (AES) to WPA-PSK (Auto). No idea why this would work, but it did, camera connected at once.

I appreciate all your help.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 115

Replies: 7

Related Articles