Massive Latency Ethernet Router

2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago
Tags: #Ethernet

47ca6605a969458ea7189e93b5876dbe

I have the TP-Link Tri-Band BE9300 router connected to Lumos Fiber 2gbps ONT. Lumos came with the Calix GigaSpire® BLAST® u6 as their default router. The problem is their router has a one 2.5 WAN port and four gigabit ports. And so, I'm not getting 2gbps service throughput our home. 

I already have a WiFi mesh system, so the WiFi is disabled on the TP-Link. I'm only interested in wired Ethernet connectivity.  And so, I purchased the TP-Link router mentioned above and a 2.5gbps TP-Link Switch. Our home was constructed in 2022 and is wired throughout with Ethernet 5e cable. 

My unfortunate dilemma:  When I connect Lumos Fiber default router, everything works flawlessly. I use AppleTV 4K (2022 model) to stream. I can watch all streaming services with no issues. However, when I connect the TP-Link router there's massive latency to the point where it practically freezes the TV screen. Prime, for example runs like its on a 56k dial-up modem (it's horrible).  Switch back to the Lumos default router -- smooth as silk with no issues whatsoever. 

I exchanged my first TP-Link router thinking maybe I had a lemon, and now with the replacement, I have the same issues. For what it's worth, it works perfectly on my son's gaming PC, achieving >1.9gbps on a speed test (see above). 

Before I return it again, I'm wondering if there's a setting I may be missing. I contacted Lumos who of course, differed me to TP-Link. 😔

Any help will be most humbly appreciated.

David
Options
15 Reply
Re:Massive Latency Ethernet Router

25 views ZERO replies. Amazing!! 😔

Does ANYONE know how to configure this annoying device to work with Lumos Fiber? Again, I'm not interested in WiFi, I just want this darn thing to work. 😡

David
Options
2 weeks ago

Hey @DavidMebaneNC,

There are a few things to take a look at to help get a better idea of what is going on.

First, what Mesh are you running on top of the TP-Link router? Is it running in AP Mode?

Increased latency and packet loss can often be seen if two routers are on your network. Are you able to remove the latency by trimming down your network structure, such as by connecting a device directly to the ethernet ports of the Archer router? Or removing the switch temporarily?

Yyou would first want to isolate if the behavior happens to only wired or wireless devices. If it happens to only wireless devices and not to wired, then the behavior likely results from your APs or their communication with the main router.

Next, you should determine if the latency is being created within your home or outside of your home. You may try using tracert commands to nail down the location of the delay - otherwise, I would recommend changing the default DNS server of your router to use a common service such as Cloudflare or Google's servers. (8.8.8.8 , 8.8.4.4)

Options
2 weeks ago

@Riley_S 

Hello, thank you for responding. Allow me to address your questions as outlined. 

1. I already have a WiFi mesh system, so the WiFi is disabled on the TP-Link. I'm only interested in wired Ethernet connectivity. I use the Google WiFi mesh system which is connected to the switch. I also do not have two routers connected. 

2. Again, as noted in my original post, my WiFi is completely disabled. 

What's ironic is if I remove the TP-Link router and replace it with the original router (all connections unchanged, switch, etc.), everything works perfectly. It's only when I connect the TP-Router that this happens. I should also point out two things:

1- My wired connection issue only seems to happen with Amazon Prime. And, before you say remove the app, restart the AppleTV, reset the AppleTV, etc., I've done it all. Remove the TP-Link router and no issues. 

2- If I activate the TP-Router's WiFi (for testing only), it doesn't connect to the internet.  

At this point, when using my regular 1gbps router everything works fine. When I replace the regular router with the TP-Link, see items #1 & #2 above. 😞

David
Options
2 weeks ago

@DavidMebaneNC,

1 - My concern is whether the Google Mesh is in AP or Bridge Mode. If it is in its default mode then the TP-Link Router and Google Mesh count as having two routers on the network, and the behavior may only present itself with the TP-Link router in play. Even though the wireless functionality is disabled, this does not disable the routing functionalities such as the DHCP Server.

If I am not mistaken, In your current setup, it should be: ONT > Archer (Router Mode) > Switch > Google Mesh Nodes (Bridged or AP) - Otherwise, what is your network layout? Other layouts or switch placements could be causing IP conflicts.

2 - For the Wi-Fi connections, I moreso meant if the behavior exists on the devices connected to the mesh. Since your mesh is also wired to the Archer router, I would expect your other devices to see a similar behavior.

It is possible that the ONT is storing the MAC address of the original router, and adding the TP-Link router is causing a conflict since it has a different address. You could try cloning the MAC Address of your original router to the Archer: MAC Clone on a TP-Link Archer Router . This normally helps in situations where an older router can provide a connection and the new router is struggling.

I would also recommend changing the DNS server to see if there is a change with Amazon. 

Options
2 weeks ago

@Riley_S  Hello. 

You're correct. This is my current setup:

1- ONT > Archer (Router Mode) > Switch > Google Mesh Nodes (Bridged or AP). 

2- Other devices connected to the mesh system are working perfectly. Even if I disconnect my AppleTV from the Ethernet and use WiFi, it works. The issue is only happening with Prime (all other streaming services work without issue). However, once I switch to the original router (same setup), everything works. 

Unfortunetely, I'm not as versed in all this as you are. 😔

Are you able to provide step by step instructions I can follow to hopefully isolate this issue. It's been driving me crazy. 

Thanks much for your time. 

David
Options
2 weeks ago

@DavidMebaneNC Can you login to the router's configuration page and check what clients (if any) are showing up when you click on Network Map -> Clients

Options
2 weeks ago

@gergle 

this is using Tether 

David
Options
2 weeks ago

@DavidMebaneNC 

Long shot..  You may have already done this....

At the router, swap the Apple tv with the gaming pc as there may be a bad ethernet port or a bent pin in the connector. 

Options

@ArcherC8 hello and thank you for the suggestion.  

I should point out Lumos had to bring in their Fiber line through our home office. The original layout when the home was built, had Internet coming through the garage into our network closet (where all the Ethernet and coaxial cables end up). And so, to get access to this closet, we used the Ethernet port in the office (effectively connecting to the switch in the closet), my daughter connects to the router directly.  

I'm getting 943 down and 941 up on the AppleTV speed test. AppleTV (2022 model) has a gigabit Ethernet port so that's understandable. All streaming services work flawlessly, except Amazon Prime. Additionally, here's the odd part, when I connect the original router, they all work. When I connect the TP-Link, Amazon decides to misbehave. I've have deleted the app, reinstalled it, reset the AppleTV, and cold restarted it with no avail. 

I'm seriously starting to think this is an Amazon issue. Why it decides to misbehave with the TP-Link router is beyond me. 😔

One more thing. When I disconnect the Ethernet cable from the AppleTV and use my Google Mesh (connected to the TP-Link router) it runs smooth as butter. For some odd reason Amazon doesn't like the Ethernet connection. And again, this phenomenon ONLY happens with Amazon. Ugh

David
Options
a week ago

Hey  @DavidMebaneNC,

I think it may have something to do with the way that Apple is routing the traffic, especially after looking at a few other forums.

I still recommend changing your network's DNS server to see if it is an easy fix - otherwise, this forum thread on Apple's site has others indicating that they have had a similar problem. It looks like the solution that they found is to change the Apple TVs network settings from DHCP to Static and use the same IP the Apple TV had (note: you shouild also set an IP reservation in the Deco App when using a static address)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 321

Replies: 15

Tags

Ethernet
Related Articles