Bandwidth .. the unexplained phenomenon.

2024-05-18 12:20:22 - last edited 3 weeks ago

5fbe3ac875f1455fbe6f52a46fb763f1

So here's an oddball question (at least for me because I don't fully understand).

I have 2gb service (up/down) coming in, the ONT supplies the 2gb, the router has one 2.5g WAN, and four 1GB ports on the LAN side. Am I effectively splitting/sharing 1GB within the house, or 2GB?

I ask because sometimes you hear when you split what the ISP is sending in, you're not actually getting that speed delivered to each device. This makes sense to me. But what happens when you have 2gb coming in, and the router is capped at 1GB on the LAN side?

Can someone please help me understand how this works in a situation such as mine?

Thanks. 

David
Options
6 Reply
Re:Oddball Question Regarding Bandwidth
3 weeks ago

Guess this is one of those things which cannot be explained. 😊

David
Options
3 weeks ago

@DavidMebaneNC 

It can be explained but takes a lot to do so. There are many resources on the internet that explains it.

basicly, you can only go as fast as the slowest link in the network. If you are getting 1000 speed from your isp, then all your devices share that speed. They all do not get 1000 all the time. But note that most devices usages does not use all that bandwidth all the time, so you can get 1000 on multiple devices just not at the same time. If you have a cable that allows only 100, than that will be the max. Or a ethernet port limit, it will be limited to that. The device has its limits as does wifi. If you are a gamer or one who moves a lot of data around where your speed is affected, that is where QoS comes into play.

Options
3 weeks ago

@ArcherC8 thank you for your time and expertise.  

However, here's my setup in Gbps:

a. 2 coming in from the ISP to the modem or NAT. 
b. 2 coming in from the NAT to the router via 2.5 WAN

c. 1 going out to different devices via 1gbps ports

Will I be causing my initial 2gbps to be slowed down any?

David
Options
3 weeks ago

@DavidMebaneNC 

Assuming a modem that is rated for the speed and has a lot of up and down channels should handle the load fine. Lengthof Ethernet cable affects speed. Each device in the stream takes a bit, modem, router, and your pc. The router does have overhead that slows things down. It can be slowed by number of devices attached more noticable when you get to higher limits, by the firewall, which dns you use, if you are using QoS, if you are using any streaming devices including cameras or such, how much wifi you use and the wifi devices attached to it, how much interference the wifi has (takes cpu cycles to address), if you use a vpn, if you use port forwarding, use UPnP, double nat,  just so many things to consider. 

Also the max  speeds on modems and routers are rated in ideal lab conditions which almost never met. 

The question is not that you see a specific speed but does it give you the soeed to do what you need. 

my isp increased my speed but for what I do, I do not need it and I do not see any difference with what I do. Speed tests show faster. 

Options
3 weeks ago

@ArcherC8 OK, allow me to put it this way. 

All conditions/use are identical on the usage side. And so, does it matter if I have 2gbps coming in or 1gbps from the ISP on the WAN side?

In other words, if I'm pulling xxxx from the ISP @ 2gbps and I drop to 1gbps will the odds of buffering increase?

David
Options
3 weeks ago

@DavidMebaneNC 

The router should take as much of the throughput from the ISP it can get up to the limit of the router and use as much as it can to each of its outputs. There will be a slight loss due to router overhead but you would need a lot of data moving at the same time to multiple devices to be affected. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 172

Replies: 6

Related Articles