Connection to new Armstrong fiber

2024-05-23 21:19:29
Tags: #Armstrong
Model: Archer A8  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.8_1.13.2 Build 230824

I'm helping a customer, who has Armstrong internet and owns an Archer A8.  Since Armstrong just upgraded his equipment today, we could not get a connection from the fiber modem to the WAN port on the A8.  The old Armstrong box worked fine, so it's odd that the router wouldn't "see" the new modem.  What's interesting is that I took an old router with dd-wrt, and it connected with no issues.

Does anyone have an idea as to why the TP-Link won't "talk" to the new Armstrong fiber connection?  By the way, I did speak with Armstrong business tech support, and the agent was just as puzzled as I.  Also, the A8 will pick up an IP from my home Nighthawk router and allow a connection from the computer in another room in my house, which is wired to the Nighthawk.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Connection to new Armstrong fiber
2024-05-23 22:58:01

@AddisonGeek 

Sounds like you are not getting an IP on the lan.

power off the modem and the router, wait 5-10 min, power on the modem, wait a few, then power on the router. Than check to see if it connected.

Options
2024-05-24 06:39:18

@AddisonGeek 

should have also said to unplug the modem and router during the power down time. 

Options
2024-05-27 21:27:29 - last edited 2024-05-27 21:28:00

We did all that, after the tech replaced the old Armstrong fiber modem with the new one. The orange light never goes away, and that supposedly shows that it detects a link. It just never grabs an IP. I connected the computer directly to the new modem and picked up a public IP with no problem. As the customer has 2 sites, and the same equipment in both, it's interesting to note that I used an old router with Tomato, and it had no issues connecting.

Options
2024-05-29 01:45:36
Here's an update on the Armstrong fiber with A8 router. Today, I took one of the routers to my brother's house, as he has Armstrong fiber, and it just worked. Intrigued, I went to the local business and swapped out the router with Tomato firmware, and the A8 just worked there as well.
Options