"Site Not secure"

"Site Not secure"

"Site Not secure"
"Site Not secure"
2024-07-08 21:05:48 - last edited 2024-07-09 22:36:41
Model: Deco XE75 Pro  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.10 Build xx rel 57182

I have a digital music media storage device on my home network which is connected via wired LAN to my master unit.

You can see below that it shows a not secure warning. I'm unable to change this in my security settings

40d4952354c14603a95c952174946691

MS support blamed on my Internet Provider, they I think more correctly, say its probably something in my Deco settings.

I'm no expert on networks - I use default setting in most cases, but have set reserved address for this device and a few other devices which work fine.

I fixed my problem to access the NAS feature of the media device - and although I have no issues to use the media device, I just wonder why I'm getting this message and W11 23H2 will not let me change the security setting which presumably would fix my issue.

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:"Site Not secure" -Solution
2024-07-09 15:59:57 - last edited 2024-07-09 22:36:41

@BritG1 

Hey there. When this message is returned by your web browser, it typically indicates the server/website you are trying to reach (in this case, your digital music media storage device) is:

1. Being accessed using an insecure protocol (HTTP instead of HTTPS), so the browser prompts the message.

2. Missing an SSL Certificate or using one no longer considered "current" or "valid" by your web browser.

The latter is more common in local network server devices, such as the web management interfaces for routers, access points, and media sharing devices/NAS. Unlike websites that are hosted online, your local media storage device's server is not hosted online. For example, it may have a secure but outdated SSL Certificate issued at manufacturing or during a firmware update. As a result, a web browser may not see it as "valid."

However, if the local server device has no SSL Certificate to begin with, then point #1 would be the likely reason.

That said, since this device is behind your router and you are accessing it from another device/browser within the same LAN, there should be no cause for concern since none of the communication between the devices would be web-facing.

The router (Deco) on your network is not directly involved in the SSL handshake, as the handshake happens between your browser (PC, etc.) and the server (NAS, etc.)

If you're still unsure about the error message, I'd recommend contacting the manufacturer of your digital music media storage device. They should be able to provide further information and guidance.

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-07-09 22:37:30 - last edited 2024-07-09 22:38:02
Not concerned about the security. Thanks for the explanation.
Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
2024-07-09 15:59:57 - last edited 2024-07-09 22:36:41

@BritG1 

Hey there. When this message is returned by your web browser, it typically indicates the server/website you are trying to reach (in this case, your digital music media storage device) is:

1. Being accessed using an insecure protocol (HTTP instead of HTTPS), so the browser prompts the message.

2. Missing an SSL Certificate or using one no longer considered "current" or "valid" by your web browser.

The latter is more common in local network server devices, such as the web management interfaces for routers, access points, and media sharing devices/NAS. Unlike websites that are hosted online, your local media storage device's server is not hosted online. For example, it may have a secure but outdated SSL Certificate issued at manufacturing or during a firmware update. As a result, a web browser may not see it as "valid."

However, if the local server device has no SSL Certificate to begin with, then point #1 would be the likely reason.

That said, since this device is behind your router and you are accessing it from another device/browser within the same LAN, there should be no cause for concern since none of the communication between the devices would be web-facing.

The router (Deco) on your network is not directly involved in the SSL handshake, as the handshake happens between your browser (PC, etc.) and the server (NAS, etc.)

If you're still unsure about the error message, I'd recommend contacting the manufacturer of your digital music media storage device. They should be able to provide further information and guidance.

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-07-09 22:37:30 - last edited 2024-07-09 22:38:02
Not concerned about the security. Thanks for the explanation.
Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 143

Replies: 2

Related Articles