SSID Combined VS Separated

2024-07-13 04:33:15
Model: Archer BE800  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.5

Is it better to separate the SSIDs per frequency range or name them all the same? Why does Smart Connect not apply to 6g? Should MLO have a separate SSID or also name the same as other frequencies?  Whats recommended and why?

Options
3 Reply
Re:SSID Combined VS Separated
2024-07-13 15:44:38

@jwagman1 MLO is suggested to be different to keep non-WIFI7 clients from trying to connect to it.  When I first set up my router, I had all set for the sam SSID and password and let the router handle the connections.

Options
2024-07-13 17:58:19

@jwagman1 

I always use separate ssids. I like to control what devices connect to which network. If you should encounter an issue, sometimes it is better to know where the device is connected. 2.4 will give you better range where the higher ones are faster. 

Options
2024-07-15 00:00:51

@jwagman1 

Most routers will usually if they have seperate SSID's will append the band (-2 or -5, and even -6) but the Smart Connect band only have the network name.

On some 2 band (2.4 and 5Ghz) Tri-bands will have -5-1 or 5-2 appended to the SSID's.

However, there are also different implementations of Smart Connect. Some will load 'level', that is keep the same number of devices on each band. Depending on if you have even 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz devices this wouldn't be a problem. However, uneven counts could force and AX 5Ghz device onto the 2.4Ghz SSID and it will be slower.

Keeping 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz devices on their own bands helps overall performance, but you can't be sure that would happen with Smart Connect.

MLO is a different story, part of the Wifi 7 implementation. There are some Wifi 6 and 6E device that can connect to though. One thing MLO's usually have is tha they are using  WPA3... so many devices will not even connect to it, even if you try. (WiFi 7 routers that I've played with all append -MLO to the network name).

For more on MLO, you might want to read this --> https://www.tp-link.com/us/blog/1067/ and MLO doesn't need to use the 6Ghz band/SSID.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 356

Replies: 3

Related Articles