Setting up security for devices that will not support newer technology

2024-07-20 22:56:57
Model: TP-Link Routers  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I just got a TP-Link AXE5400 and in research found that the higher level of security is not supported with Amazon Fire Sticks which control five TVs in our house. What is the best solution to provide the highest level of security possible?

Thanks!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Setting up security for devices that will not support newer technology
2024-07-21 22:53:20

@Neuf512 

I assume you are trying to connect it to the 'LAN' 2.4 5 or 6Ghz bands that have WPA3 Security?

The Amaxon probably only works with WAP2 I assume.

Easy FIX, enable the GUEST network and set it to WPA2 security. Should work fine.

Don't have that router, so I'm only suggesting what I'd try?

Options
2024-07-23 23:41:10

@Neuf512 

You can test these wireless security settings in your case:

8a006e97c9604fc180f3f8c734c14fe2

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-07-25 05:22:22

@Neuf512 

Congratulations on your new TP-Link AXE5400 router! While it’s true that the highest security level, WPA3, might not be supported by some older devices like Amazon Fire Sticks, you can still ensure a high level of security by using WPA2, which is widely supported and offers robust protection. Here are a few steps to enhance your network security:

1. Use WPA2 for Compatibility: Set your router to use WPA2 security, which will be compatible with your Amazon Fire Sticks and other older devices.
  2. Separate Networks: Create a separate guest network for devices that do not support newer security technologies, keeping them isolated from your primary network.
  3. Strong Passwords: Ensure your Wi-Fi network uses a strong, unique password.
  4. Firmware Updates: Regularly update your router's firmware to ensure you have the latest security patches.
  5. Network Monitoring: Use the router’s built-in network monitoring tools to keep an eye on connected devices and unusual activity.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 180

Replies: 3

Related Articles