Has TP Link Said Anything about Deco BE65 PoE?

2024-07-21 21:33:33
Tags: #Wi-Fi 7 #Home Network
Model: Deco BE65  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

TP Link has had their wifi 7 products out for a good while now and I believe the PoE BE65 was announced at the same time as the other products. This leads me to believe they're having some problems with development. Surely they wouldn't wait this long to release it just because "it's not the right time", right? Has anybody seen anything about how development is going with this product or a potential release time frame? It seems TP Link is radio silent on this product because I haven't been able to find anything at all and the couple other threads I've seen with people asking about it, TP Link brushes it off with a "No updates yeslaugh". I get they don't want to release a half-baked product but zero communication with your customer base? That's pretty disappointing.

Also, is the reason it only has 1 other ethernet port on the nodes, besides the poe port, because of the power requirements of wifi 7? If not, why? Because that's also a bit disappointing.

TLDR:

1. Are there problems with the development of the BE65 PoE?

2. Either way, how is development of the BE65 poe going?

3. Potential release time frame for this product?

4. Why is there only 1 other ethernet port on the nodes? Power requirements of wifi 7?

Thanks

Options
3 Reply
Re:Has TP Link Said Anything about Deco BE65 PoE?
2024-07-22 18:00:47

Hey  @BE65_PoE_When,

The BE65 PoE was one of the devices we announced at CES this year. Not all the devices seen at CES have been released or are guaranteed to release; however, many are still anticipated.

For Wi-Fi 7, we are only now beginning to see a wider rollout of mid- and entry-level models. So far, the Wi-Fi 7 Routers have been largely a 'premium' product, but releases like the BE11000 have begun to pave the way for more varied Wi-Fi 7 networks.

We will provide an update to everyone as soon as we receive more information about a potential release, but we do not currently have one that we can provide.

The one ethernet port for the PoE nodes is something that is not uncommon on Access Points. Typically these nodes are placed in locations that would have difficulty with multiple cables. Instead, it is recommended to connect a switch to a mounted node and use the additional ethernet ports on the switch for your devices. This also would allow you to best take advantage of the different mounting options. This is also the case for the existing Deco X50-PoE and Deco X50-Outdoor.

Also as an FYI (not sure if it applies here) the original PoE and Outdoor Decos released almost simulataneously as an entire 'family' of nodes for different use cases. It is still relatively early in terms of Wi-Fi 7 and I am sure that we will see additional node types in the future.

Options
2024-07-24 22:34:38

@Riley_S  It's not guaranteed to release? Even though it says coming soon? That's a pretty interesting take on a number of levels but hey, I guess we'll (hopefully) get it when we get it then.

And yea that makes sense as far as adding a switch to a node. Good stuff.

Also, since these are poe, would I need some kind of gateway device for them? Or would it be fine just using an unmanaged poe switch and thats it, the nodes take care of all of that? I'm certainly no expert so some guidance on this front would be appreciated.

Lastly, if I was to get the BE11000 wifi 7 mesh system that you guys released already, How could I go about adding a tp-link PoE AP to our network? Because we have a shop that is ~100ft away from the house that we are also doing an ethernet run to. Or perhaps there is a better option.

Thanks.

Options
2024-07-25 18:01:51

@BE65_PoE_When,

CES is technically a global event, and not every device will receive each model. Saying that, if the PoE is marked as coming soon on our site it is more likely that the model has been chosen as an option for the US, but the device still may not necessarily be released due to a variety of other factors (production, regulations, logistics, retailers, etc). Basically, CES serves as a platform for us to showcase our potential releases for the next year and what we are currently developing. For example, the showcased Tapo hub is still marked as coming soon and our gaming routers are being released as we speak.

An unmanaged PoE Switch is what we would recommend here, PoE has its own negotiation of Power just as Wi-Fi speeds do - your switch and nodes should know how much power is needed for the device. (Active vs Passive PoE) - Just know that PoE switches usually have a maximum power across all their ports.

An added fact that may help, while they can be PoE or AC powered, your Deco will always be able to use a wireless backhaul. This means you could technically use a PoE setup separate from your network to power a node(PoE Injector) - even though it is not recommended due to the increased performance that comes with a wired backhaul.

--  What is PoE? What Can It Do For Your Home? --

Decos all work together, so you could consider a Deco X50 -PoE, or Deco X50-Outdoor for the shop/outside the shop. These would allow you to have one consistent network across both buildings to manage. If you are running ethernet to the shop, you have a plethora of options beyond Decos - even potentially just a PoE AP(TL-W3001) or wired Range Extender depending on your needs. As an FYI, the Outdoor Decos have a wider operating range which may be helpful to protect the device if your shop is reactive to outside temps.

If it is a normal protected building with power, you can actually use any Deco to extend your network to that building - you will just want to provide that wired connection due to the range between your shop and home.

Options