Erroneous information being generated by the Tether app and Router

2024-08-04 05:23:55
Model: Archer GE800  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.3 Build 20240528 rel.85215

I have a Windows 11 desktop PC connected to this router via the game port (LAN). I have the Tether app on my mobile phone and I get constant updates telling me that my XBOX Game Console is boosted. I do not own an XBOX  console or any other console. Windows 11 has XBOX software integration as part of the OS so I am guessing that is what is triggering these messages. If I log into Steam I start getting statistics in the Tether app saying I have been playing DOTA 2, Half Life 2 and Team Fortress 2. I do not own nor have I ever played these games. If your equipment and software cannot discern what gaming traffic is coming in/out of the router, how are we supposed to trust the other data being provided by the equipment? I contacted technical support via chat and I am questioning whether the person I was chatting with has ever even turned a computer on. I called the technical support phone number and had better luck with someone who understood the issue and was escalating the issue. I received an email today from tech support telling me to disable Game Acceleration. I have never enabled this feature, it comes disabled by default and it is a 3rd party feature that requires a monthly subscription. That was the only solution that was provided. Not off to a good start here.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Erroneous information being generated by the Tether app and Router
2024-08-04 15:50:01

@Baermock Sounds like you get to Beta test this new router.

Options
2024-08-04 23:57:24

@Baermock 

First be sure your router is not hacked.

Next be sure Tether is pointing at your network.

Then isolate your devices to see which is acting like a Xbox. This may happen if the MAC address is in a given range.

Options
2024-08-05 00:28:26

@ArcherC8 My router is not "hacked" Look, I have sent over 15 screen shots of all the issues including everything connected via WiFi. I have turned off WiFi to test and the only LAN connection is my desktop and I still get the erroneous info. Everything is well documented. I am getting pretty sick and tired of this company not wanting to even offer the slightest hint that it may be the equipment. Its a new piece of hardware, they are going to be squashing bugs for the next year, and to try and act like its not in the realm of possibility that it is a problem on there end. And honestly I am a little insulted that you do not think I know what MY OWN home network is. I have been using the tether app for years, I have had tp-link equipment for years. I work in IT, I reccomend tp-link to my friends and relatives for home use. This is why it is so frustrating. This is the 3rd time in 7 years that I have had to contact support. Every time so far has been an issue on there end. I took the router to a relatives house, reset it to factory default. Connected it via LAN to the game port on the router. There computer is a Windows 11 machine as well. First thing when the computer boots up the tether app tells me the it it Boosting the Xbox. No xbox is connected. Installed Steam and logged in, the tether app reports that this computer had played half-life 2, DOA 2 and team fortress 2. It shows the games were played for a little over 5 minutes each. Those games were not installed and my relative doesn't even play games. So the issue is with tether and the router not me. And to be quite honest, what I am trying to discern here is if there are security issues with the unit. There are a lot of red flags popping up here.

Options
2024-08-05 18:50:58

@Baermock 

First please note that I do not work for TP Link so I could care less which router you use and from what company. I am just a retired IT person that likes to help others. Most who post here do not have an IT background and not very savy with networks.

Any way, as far as I know you are the first and only to report this issue. Many times, others will jump on the tread to indicate that have the same issue. Could it be the router or the teather app? I am sure it can and have not rulled it out. 

As far as has your computer or router been hacked, how do you know for sure? Seems like major companies get hacked everyday and not know for months. 

Since you are an IT person, you should know you need to isolate the issue to as few componates as possible which I was trying to impart.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 234

Replies: 4

Related Articles