Deco M9+ And Google Fiber

2024-08-11 22:43:49
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.6.3 Build 2031225 Rel. 60770

I hoping someone can help me out here.

I recently moved to a new state and we now have Google Fiber as our ISP.  I used to have Cox.  In our old area, I have a history of nearly gigabit speeds.  When I signed up with Google Fiber, I went with the 2GB plan.  I loved having the Parental Controls features.  Unfortunately, when I have connected the decos, the highest speed I can get is in the 350mbps and the clients connected via ethernet are slower than that.  I have adjusted settings within the router, changed cables, changed ports, Googled all sorts of remedies and I'm at my wits end.  Any help that you all can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco M9+ And Google Fiber
2024-08-17 12:01:55

Just an update.  I have narrowed it down that it's the Deco's.  I can get 1GB speeds going down, but I cannot get them as an upload; I only get approximately 300mbps.  If I connect an old router (and I mean early 2000's) in AP mode and bypass the deco then I'm back to 1GB speeds up and down.  I'm really hoping someone can assist.  I love TP Link's QoS & parental controls.

Options
2024-08-17 14:35:49 - last edited 2024-08-17 14:36:56

@Land_Of_Oz I think it's good that you've noted the Hardware Version number.  The only thing I can think of is to make sure each unit has the correct firmware based on that Version #, maybe go through them and try to manually install the appropriate version.  (Both V2 and V1 latest is 1.6.3 BUT they are different size by .01 MB, leading me to believe that it is important to match HW version with Firmware versions).

I recently downloaded a firmware for my lone BE95, which was listed on the Version 1.6 page, but when I opened the .zip it actually notes "V2".  So far it appears to be working correctly and they haven't created a V2 tab, but I see others with different Firmware versions (different Deco model) for the same hardware version and it concerns me...

Options
2024-08-17 15:04:32
Thanks jzchen for the reply. I didn't think to check that. I've checked all the firmware versions and see they're all the same 1.6.3. Normally I let the Deco's update themselves but I'll try manually updating them. I have also set my max QoS up and down as 1024mb hoping that was the issue but alas, still the same.
Options
3 weeks ago

@Land_Of_Oz 

I'm having issues with Google Fiber too. My M9Plus works fine with my old Spectrum account but indicates there is no internet connection with google fiber. Mine is HW version 1 but with the same firmware version. The router gets an IP address and DNS from google almost instantly but will not connect 95 times out of 100. The fact that is connects once in a while is mind boggling, so why not connect all of the time. And of course google says to use their Nest Pro router, which btw does work. But I have about 30 Kasa/Tapo devices that work well and respond fairly quick with the Deco M9Plus and that also need reserved IPs for my Hubitat hub. But the google router doesn't provide any method to reserve IPs.

Options