Archer A7 orange internet status light

3 weeks ago

I have an Archer A7 router connected to a Verizon FIOS internet service. The ethernet cable from the FIOS box is connected to the WAN port on the A7. On average every 2-3 days, I lose internet access on any device connected to the router. During those times, the internet status light on the router changes from the usual green to orange. The only way I've been able to get past this point is to cycle the router off and on. 

To troubleshoot, I temporarily replaced the A7 with a spare router, keeping all wiring and connections the same. I experienced no connectivity issues with the spare router. The problem returns when I switch back to the A7. 

Searching the forum, I see this has been mentioned several times but I haven't seen any solutions. Any updates on what's causing this issue and how to resolve? 

Options
3 Reply
Re:Archer A7 orange internet status light
3 weeks ago

@WifiFan 

Intermittent connectivity concerns like this are generally caused by 1 of 4 causes.  

1. an ISP network concern

2. a bad network cable between the modem/ont and router 

3. a bad or failing physical port.  

4. a software concern 

You seem to have ruled out two of these with the using of an alternative router with all of the same hardware attached.  So that leaves you at the last two.  Please make sure your router is up to date on its firmware.  If it is then it is most likely a failing port and if the router is still under warranty a replacement may be needed. 

Options
3 weeks ago

@Carl 

Firmware was confirmed to be current while experiencing the connectivity issues. That leaves the cause to be a bad WAN port. I can see that as a possibility but given the number of other posts with the same issue, are all these ports going bad?

Options
3 weeks ago

@WifiFan 

It would always be possible but without troubleshooting directly it would be difficult to say.  Since the focus is on loss of WAN and you have already isolated and tried a different router and were not able to replicate the issue its safe to assume that the router WAN has an issue.  If the product is still within its warrant period then its possible an RMA could be issued to replace the device. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 95

Replies: 3

Related Articles