Determining Deco Hardware Version When Purchasing

a week ago
Model: Deco X55  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I currently have a 3-pack Deco X55 with hardware version 1.26. I have been waiting fo the firmware version 1.11 to become available fo this model. I understand that it make take time for this to happen. However, the real subject of this post is how does someone determine which hardware version of a given product model you are going to get when ordering online (either through TP-LINK directly or a 3rd party like Amazon)? The only information is the model (e.g., X55). The hardware version is not specificied. Generally, I would expect to get the most current hardware version, but based on inventory, there is no guarantee. Yes, I could return the product, but no guarantee that the replacement would be a newer version. Given that TP-LINK treats the different hardware versions separately with separte firmware development cycles, it would be nice to know and specify which hardware version one is buying. But this piece of information is hidden from the cu=oncumer until they have the product in hand.

So, my question is how do I determine the hardware version of a product BEFORE buying it?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Determining Deco Hardware Version When Purchasing
a week ago

@thebiker 

Looks like it's just where it was made 

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/273678

Need help with the Deco app, setup, Ethernet backhaul, network switch or rolling back firmware? https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/699816?page=1
Options
a week ago

@HelpFixDecoApp Thanks for the info and that may be the case. However, in the case of the Deco X55 (and probably other models), the firmware (and therfore the functionality) is different with different hardware versions. Therefore, my question remains - How do determine or select the appropiate hardware level when purchacing a product?

Options
a week ago - last edited a week ago

thebiker wrote

So, my question is how do I determine the hardware version of a product BEFORE buying it?

Through research or going personally to the electronic store and asking them the version number on the box. With Amazon you can drop a question and the manufacturer, seller will reply. When I bought my deco x55 through Amazon I received v1.6. 

It would be great if online stores mentioned the version number on their description so consumer knows what they will be receiving. 

V1.0 and V.1.6 are identical hardware, the only difference is the number. Those two versions in most cases shares the same firmware. My V1.6 is using V1.0 firmware.

This quote is from a tp-link representative:

Version changes between x.0 and x.6 are very small changes, they are even often the result of something as trivial as a change in manufacturing location. These models will almost always share firmware releases, and if the one for your version is not available, you can usually use the 1.0 version unless otherwise indicated in the patch notes.

Since, the models share the firmware, the hardware version will sometimes show the overall version of the firmware instead of looking at the physical hardware version. In many cases, the exact same firmware is used between the two.

V1.26 is a different hardware, that one tends to receive firmware upgrades much later on. 

Options
a week ago

@Wi-Fi-25 Thanks. I agree that this is probably what one would have to do before making a purchase. Hopefully the seller would know, but that may not always work. I really wish that TP-LINK would mark their products with a more visible/transparent indication of the hardware version. These are really different models, since either the hardware or the firmware causes different functionalities to be available. For example it could be called X55A, X55B, etc. or X55v1, X55v2, etc.If the product are different, they should be labeled differently. In the case of the X55, the firmware from one hardware version is NOT supported by the hardware of a different version. Therfore they are diiferent.

I would like to make a formal request that TP-LINK name or label their products that are different from each other.

Options
a week ago

@thebiker 

Yeah amazon doesn't list the hardware version number so it will be a chore finding the hardware version you want 

Need help with the Deco app, setup, Ethernet backhaul, network switch or rolling back firmware? https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/699816?page=1
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 140

Replies: 5

Related Articles