Archer C7 V2 Constant Internet Network Connection Drops Using DHCP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-02-02 21:48:40
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have an Archer C7 V2 on the latest Firmware Version of 3.15.1 Build 160719 rel .57530n. I purchased the router two weeks ago and after a day noticed that it keeps dropping the internet connectivity. When logging into the router I see there is an DHCP IP address from my internet provider but you cannot connect to the internet. If I release the DHCP IP address the router cannot obtain a new address unless I shut down my cable modem and my router.

I purchased the router on Amazon and returned it and had a replacement shipped and the same problem with the new router. I have tried using the MAC Clone from my laptop thinking it is binding issue with the cable modem provider but that doesn't work. I recently tried using Static IP addresses by getting the IP address from DHCP from the cable provider and putting in everything manually. The problem is that my internet provider changes the IP addresses and I lose internet because I have to manually change the IP address. Something is going on with the router handling the DHCP and losing the internet connectivity. I have seen the same problem with other wireless routers in these forums and so far no answers.
Options
9 Reply
Re:Archer C7 V2 Constant Internet Network Connection Drops Using DHCP
2017-02-04 09:07:06
Hi, why not try to setup the C7 as AP device?
And, did the cable modem use PPPoE? Or which connection type?
Options
2017-02-04 21:36:53
How do you set it up as a AP device? When you plug a computer or router into my cable provider modem you just get an IP address. I don't believe it's PPPoe
Options
2020-01-02 19:33:07
Just spent a long time on phone with support and hopefully have a fix. Do the Mac Clone thing it says to in the manual—go to Basic, network, internet, Mac clone. Click use current computer MAC address. Then under Advanced, Network, DHCP Server. For Primary DNS enter: 8.8.8.8 For Seconday DNS enter: 8.8.4.4 Click save. Then go to Advanced, Network, Internet. On that page click drop down for Advanced. You’ll see a checkbox at bottom of stuff that pops up that says “Get IP using unicast DHCP (it is usually not required)”. Check that box and press save. Reboot the router. Then reboot the modem. Wait a few mins. This seems to be working for me and the rep swears this is the long term fix. Will post again if issues return. Hope this helps other people!
Options
2020-01-03 20:30:43

@Katherinewh 

ugh responding to myself to say that this worked for 24 hours and now is broken again. So frustrating!!! If anyone has a solution please post it!! 

Options
2020-01-07 14:24:54

@Katherinewh me again.... I did what was described in this post on the forum https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/105729

Then I turned on "Smart Connect" and it seems to be working (3 days with no issues so far). Not sure which of the things I did this time fixed it but my guess is it was turning on Smart Connect so I would start there. Good luck all! 

Options
2020-05-01 14:55:57
This still working? I am having the issue with my Archer C7 as well. Don't want to keep it if it is a dud router.
Options
2020-06-15 21:50:27

Just but a C7 for Homeoffice but I am getting crazy when the internet drops. I have try reboot the unit , changing channel , etc . But still does not work . 

Options
2020-08-06 11:47:21

@Bernstma 

I have an Archer C7 V4, and the same thing happened to me. From time to time I did not have internet access, although in the WAN configuration it shows that it has dynamic IP, there does not seem to be any problem.

Although I made several changes that are suggested in this forum, the problem was not solved.

I had updated the firmware in Dec-2019, version "Archer C7 (US) _V4_190411".

So now I went back to the previous firmware, version "Archer C7 (US) _V4_180425".

Since then, I have not lost the internet connection. 5 days ago.

In my case this seems to be the solution. At least until there is a new "2020" firmware, I'm going to leave it at that.

I hope it serves you.

Options
2021-10-26 17:00:35 - last edited 2021-10-26 17:10:14

@Daniel_DG My WiFi was blazing fast all around the crib before an update. I was setting up a smart bassinet, logged into my router and was rompted to update to teh firmwarez Archer CY_V5_210519. Since then my WiFi has been dropping once a day, router has to be power cycled to resolve the issue. Every smart device in my home is useless now. The Misses just called me at the office and had a cow because she couldn't adjust the smart thermostat. So much for "Smart Connect", huh? May reset device to factory settings and decline teh firmwarez when I get 127.0.0.1.

PS - Not even my smart doge worx when the WiFi is down.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 10366

Replies: 9

Related Articles