Archer C9 - configure UDP broadcast to a specific ip - Possible?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-04-01 10:12:24
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have a networking device where an app on my cell phone sends out a UDP request to 255.255.255.255 (broadcast) on port 8080, it then responds and the device and app connect.

I can see the device in my DHCP pool and I have even set a reserved IP for it. I was requested by support to configure a forwarding rule for the UDP broadcast to be directed to the devices IP. So far i cannot find anything in the Archer C9 router.

This is all local, not initiated from outside of my LAN.

Is this possible?

~Deckofficer
Options
3 Reply
Re:Archer C9 - configure UDP broadcast to a specific ip - Possible?
2017-04-02 18:09:25

deckofficer54 wrote

I can see the device in my DHCP pool and I have even set a reserved IP for it. I was requested by support to configure a forwarding rule for the UDP broadcast to be directed to the devices IP. So far i cannot find anything in the Archer C9 router.

This is all local, not initiated from outside of my LAN.

Forwarding of broadcasts makes no sense in a local network, since such data is broadcasted to any connected device by default, hence the name "broadcast".

But it seems to be a nice joke on April's fool day.

Forwarding broadcasts would only be needed if you want them to pass a subnet border, for example, from LAN to DMZ or from LAN to WHATEVER. But this is very tricky to achieve (to which device the answers should be sent?), so it is best to bridge two different networks in order to make broadcasts available to both.

Yes, this sometimes is needed, so it's actually no good joke for the April's fool day. :D
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2017-04-02 20:55:45
After posting this and thinking of how broadcasts work (its been a while since my networking classes :D ) it didnt make sense to need to forward local broadcasts to a specific ip... because it'd be receiving it anyways!

I think the devices support was assuming i had my other AP i have in the house working as a regular router would. But its configured as an AP and forwarding all traffic.

Thanks for reinforcing that thinking R1D2 :D
Options
2017-04-03 23:58:54
You're welcome. Yes, support probably thought you use a regular router.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2468

Replies: 3