Archer C5400 - How do I enable IPSEC when connecting to VPN using L2TP?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-04-23 12:50:33
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi all,

I just purchased a TP-LINK Archer C5400, and I am attempting to connect to a VPN using the router. I am wondering how I enable IPSec when connecting to the VPN using L2TP.

More specifically, my VPN provides instructions for connecting via L2TP/IPSec. It provides the server address, user name/pass to enter, and it also instructs me to enter an " IPSec pre-shared key."

From the tplinkwifi.net page, I am able to enter most of this information by going to Network --> Internet --> Advanced --> then selecting "L2TP" in the droplist next to "Internet Connection Type"

However, I have not seen anyplace to enable IPSec or enter the " IPSec pre-shared key". Based on what I've read, it seems that L2TP isn't secure without IPSec, but I don't know if IPSec is something that is just on by default or if its something that I need to enable. If it is something that is just on by default or encompassed already by L2TP, then could you please clarify where I should be entering the " IPSec pre-shared key" and/or why my VPN would provide this info if I don't need to enter it anywhere?

Apologies in advance if these are stupid questions. I spent half the day researching this and couldn't figure it out (I'm obviously pretty new to this).

*Bonus Question* - Does anybody have any recommendations on guides or information regarding the specific options on this router that I should enable or research further to make things more secure?

Thanks in advance for your time and help!
Options
2 Reply
Re:Archer C5400 - How do I enable IPSEC when connecting to VPN using L2TP?
2019-03-15 17:28:49

The VPN On the C5400 is client side only. You can buy a router with vpn server from the VPN providers. When out of the house this allows you to tunnel (VPN) to the home router and be as safe as you are at home, even if you are on a open public WiFi.

You can also enable VPN access from an individual computer. You can also flash some routers with new firmware. The best way depends on how you want to use the VPN. If you want all traffic safe, then a VPN enables router is the best option.

I have an unused ac1750 which can be flashed to contain a vpn server, for example.

Options
Re:Re:Archer C5400 - How do I enable IPSEC when connecting to VPN using L2TP?
2019-03-15 20:18:24

@Coma 

the Archer C5400 and many of our newer routers do have a VPN Server option built in.  This feature support PPTP and OpenVPN.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1999

Replies: 2