Archer Running As AP still Making DHCP Requests

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-05-17 02:57:06
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Greetings!

I have an Archer c7 AC 1750. It is set up to function as an AP. DHCP is disabled, and I have one of the LAN ports connected to the router/modem provided by my ISP. The ISP modem is handling all DHCP for the network and is the gateway to the internet.

Despite having configured my TP-Link to be an AP in accordance with the manufacturer's documentation, I am seeing DHCP activity in the log:

4th day 15:53:51 DHCP INFO DHCPC Send DISCOVER with request ip 0 and unicast flag 0
4th day 15:53:53 DHCP INFO DHCPC Send DISCOVER with request ip 0 and unicast flag 0
4th day 15:53:55 DHCP INFO DHCPC Send DISCOVER with request ip 0 and unicast flag 0
4th day 15:53:59 DHCP INFO DHCPC Send DISCOVER with request ip 0 and unicast flag 1
4th day 15:54:01 DHCP INFO DHCPC Send DISCOVER with request ip 0 and unicast flag 1
4th day 15:54:03 DHCP INFO DHCPC DHCP Service unavailable, recv no OFFER
4th day 17:06:43 DHCP INFO DHCPC Send DISCOVER with request ip 0 and unicast flag 0

etc, etc, ad infinitum...

Everything seems to be working as intended: devices can connect to the AP and have a solid connection out to the internet, and are getting IP addresses from the DHCP scope set in the primary router/modem. So why am I seeing DHCP logs? Although my network seems stable, I'm worried that this is, at the very least, creating unnecessary traffic on my network, and could lead to greater problems down the road. Should I be worried?
Options
6 Reply
Re:Archer Running As AP still Making DHCP Requests
2017-05-17 20:26:27
You ask if you should be worried: No i don't think you should be worried, because sometimes even if the DHCP is disabled it tries to connect.

Have you tried the latest firmware-beta and see if this still is going on ?
Options
2017-05-18 00:11:43
The firmware version I'm currently running is: 3.14.3 Build 150427 Rel.36706n

Unfortunately, I can't flash firmware during business hours without upsetting some users, so updating to a new version will have to wait.

Thanks for your reply.
Options
2017-07-07 15:13:56
I know it's been a while since you posted, but I had the same issue running my C9 as AP. You need to set the WAN for static IP and place an IP in the slot. Those messages are the router trying to get a WAN ip. Also note that as an AP you need to configure a static route (back to your parent router) for the time settings to work.

Hope that helps someone.
Options
2020-03-22 01:19:52

@simpk5 Thank you! Those logs have been driving me insane!

I wasn't able to get the time settings work though. Can you elaborate, please?

Options
2021-03-01 19:42:00

@All 
Good lord.  Three years later and this appears to still be an ongoing issue.  Maybe I'm the first person to actually try and submit a bug report?

I got an Archer A7 last week (and would have bought some other model had I known about a three year old bug of this nature) and pretty much right away noticed that it was making a new DHCP lease request every thirty seconds.  It looks like something's screwed up and in AP mode the box decides its new lease is one minute long (since DHCP clients typically renew their lease at 1/2 the lease time).  This is perfectly reasonable for it to do in AP mode because without some IP address there's no way short of a factory reset for the administrator to ever reconfigure it again.  That it misbehaves only in AP mode is enabled is just loony.

This is very much a bug and a fairly terrible one at that.  I would hate to have to immediately flash a brand-new router with DD-WRT because the manufacturer can't be bothered to fix simple bugs after three years.  It gives me no faith that other, more important and likely security-related problems are being handled correctly.

Options
2021-11-05 04:44:20 - last edited 2021-11-05 04:49:18

@simpk5 I'm making this account specifically to inform that your solution works. Just put random number on the WAN, Subnet, etc etc. Thank you very much.

As for the time settings to work, create a custom Routing:

Advance routing> add new> destination network is your NTP Server, input subnet and Gateway.

Time Settings > Get GMT

Options