Install DD-WRT for Archer C9

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-07-13 21:52:11
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I've owned a C9 for quite awhile. I experienced annoying router behavior right out of the box: Web interface connection problem, dim LEDs (after my first firmware upgrade) etc.

None of my issues were serious enough to warrant throwing the router into the swimming pool to provide an excuse to purchase a new router, but for a long time, the problems were irksome and failed to be corrected in subsequent firmware revisions.

Tp-Link customer support is your typical script driven boiler plate email response team. Is it plugged in, let's try a reboot, let's try reinstalling windows... aaargh! When nothing works, eventually you get the case closed email, "we can't duplicate the issue on our test computers".

All of my annoying issues are corrected by installing DD-WRT on the C9. Those who need to connect their router to a VPN service, can do so. The web interface is never inaccessible and even the LED brightness issue is resolved, at least for me. The router still runs way too hot but that's a design issue not something that can be adequately addressed with software that turns down the wifi transmit power levels, led power levels and whatever else "they" have decided needs not run a max power. The stock firmware interface gives the C9 owner no way to adjust most of these power levels, so you are stuck.

DD-WRT is an option for those who wish to install it. Of course doing so means that tp-link won't offer you any support, but that's ok, they can't offer much useful support anyways apparently. Using DD-WRT may be enough for tp-link to consider your warranty void. If you do have a warranty issue and are able to get enough functionality out of the router to revert back to tp-link firmware, you can do so and get warranty support again.

DD-WRT is a much more powerful and flexible management interface for your router. You'll have access to many settings not available in the stock firmware. If you go dinking around with settings you do not fully understand, if you do not make a list of everything you have changed and their initial values, you may experience worse performance than you get now. I have not heard of anyone bricking their C9 with DD-WRT but if you do, there is a recovery process that seems to work reliably.

You will need to, at the very least, watch these two videos from start to finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naWXf-d33Pk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU8RyW82Z2M

You will need to get all of the software you will need to flash DD-WRT and possibly recover your router before you begin. It is also a good idea to make notes of the steps and commands that you will need to perform as you will not have internet access again until you are done.

Offered only as a potential solution to those who are tired of waiting for tp-link to get their act together and fix these basic functionality issues that they claim not to be able to duplicate, yet poster after poster is experiencing the same problems.

If you do not need any of the advanced features offered by DD-WRT or you do not mind rebooting your C9 when you need to change some settings, maybe installing DD-WRT is not necessary.
Options
4 Reply
Re:Install DD-WRT for Archer C9
2017-07-14 00:23:42
Thanks for the helpful info. Here's what TP-Link told me. What a joke. Thank you very much for your email requesting information about our product.I am sorry to say that some official firmware of TP-Link products can be replaced by the third party firmware such as DD-WRT. TP-Link is not obligated to provide any maintenance or support for it, and does not guarantee the performance and stability of third party firmware. Damage to the product as a result of using third party firmware will void the product's warranty.Sorry again for the inconvenience caused!Highly appreciate for your support and the cooperation.Have a nice day!> I have an Archer C7 and I'm upgrading to an AC1900 so I can send my VPN to a Roku. There's a lot of conflicting info out there, so I'd be grateful if you would confirm that I can flash the appropriate dd-wrt firmware to the AC1900.
Options
2017-07-14 09:02:39
no tried that, can't make sure
Options
2017-07-14 09:34:26
Thanks for this, may have to go that route later on.
Options
2017-07-14 11:06:21

Fuzzylogic wrote

I have an Archer C7 and I'm upgrading to an AC1900 so I can send my VPN to a Roku. There's a lot of conflicting info out there, so I'd be grateful if you would confirm that I can flash the appropriate dd-wrt firmware to the AC1900.

Both the flashing of dd-wrt and the recovery process work as shown in the two videos showing how it is done. I've done it myself with my C9 V1 several times. If you are careful, follow all the steps, select the correct dd-wrt bin file, and don't experience a power failure you should be ok.
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 3920

Replies: 4

Related Articles